Civil War Shield/badge, .69 3 Ringer, Williams Cleaner, 3 ringers and 2 buttons

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Hello All,

I got out for a little over an hour tonight. In the same general area as most of the CW stuff I have been posting the last few weeks. I dug a regular three ringer and the Williams not long after i got there, hunting an area I had not really hit yet. The rest of the items were spread out over a pretty large area. I looked hard but noooo button front.. just the back.. and the best find is the shield. It is stamped brass, silver plated and had three hooks on the back.. well.. there are three little rusted area where "something" had been. I left it alone in the field... hoping to find a name and unit carved on the front.. but it is plain!

Enjoy!
MB

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 514
  • shield1.jpg
    shield1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 582
  • shield2.jpg
    shield2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little 2 hour hunt :thumbsup: :wink: Like the silver wash on the shield and of course the Big Belgian .69 calibers....thats my favorite # to dig

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
any ideas as to what the shield device might be???

MB

Thats funny you asked because I was just looking at it. Its either a saddle shield :thumbsup: or the metal keeper that went on the end of a leather rein. I have dug both and they look very similar but I believe yours is a saddle shield due to the nice silver washing on the face. Nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wink:

Mar 9, 2009
The shield you found is a Bridal Rosette and I found one just like it about a month ago in Western Tidewater. Nice find and Congrats!!!

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like one I found in PA. I was told it was horse tack related? mine only had two posts on the back.

Attachments

• Ambler Colonial House 032.jpg
    Ambler Colonial House 032.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Ambler Colonial House 036.jpg
    Ambler Colonial House 036.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 533
  • Ambler Colonial House 032.jpg
    Ambler Colonial House 032.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 423
  • Ambler Colonial House 036.jpg
    Ambler Colonial House 036.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 385

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice CW finds as usuall MB. I would love to hunt for CW things where you are. Maybe someday I can swing your way

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Chewed Tobacco 2 said:
Here is a picture of the one I found in a very productive CW peanut field. ;D

Hmm.. I was not thinking saddle/tack related because of the size and how thin it is.. but that does match up pretty well.. Looked more like a pin back to me at first..

Thanks!!

MB

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Re: Civil War Shield/badge, .69 3 Ringer, Williams Cleaner, 3 ringers and 2 butt

MonkeyBoy said:
Chewed Tobacco 2 said:
Here is a picture of the one I found in a very productive CW peanut field. ;D

Hmm.. I was not thinking saddle/tack related because of the size and how thin it is.. but that does match up pretty well.. Looked more like a pin back to me at first.. I don't know.. maybe it is... but it reminds me way more of a "device" then a decorative leather or wood piece..

Thanks!!

MB

After looking this over again... I back to thinking it is not a tack item.. I have some of those someplace.. this is more like an insignia device... with the 3 points of connection on the back.. and it is rather thin compared to the others I have seen.... so.. not sure now...

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread