Cobblestone Ranch now with a photo

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
Not a good photo yet, but I am still a little close to the vest on this place. In fact, this photo alone is enough for some people to figure out the location. Today shows how much you need to use your eyes when detecting in this situation. There is so much trash in this area of ferrous nature, that I basically need to discriminate everything. So how can you find a buffalo nickel? Surely they are there. Well today, I was trying so hard to make a quarter signal repeat but couldn't. But out of the corner of my eye, I saw a light green patina. But I WANTED THAT QUARTER! Never got it repeatable enough to even bend down. But that patina off to the right finally got me curious. I bent down to pick it up and could tell right away that it was a buffalo nickel. By the end of the day, I had spotted two. It's easy to forget when all of your targets are underground that there are actually situations where you can dig AND see targets at the surface. This is special case at the Cobblestone Ranch. This last thing is some kind of silver strip, the design could be last year or Civil war era fro the looks of it. No marks at all, reverse has some sort of pin soldered on to the back. It is some sort of embellishment for something. Of course, I am acting like it is civil war era, cause that's better than something that fell off some shite-kicker's good saturday night dancin' shirt, lol. I am loving this place. I basically got silver-skunked today and STILL had a prety decent day. 15 mem pennies 2 dimes and this stuff.

Attachments

• cobbles.jpg
    cobbles.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 358
  • buffalos10-18-05.jpg
    buffalos10-18-05.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 362
  • silver strip.jpg
    silver strip.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 351
Upvote 0

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Great place you have there, and I like the name Cobblestone Ranch! I can't ID it, you secret is safe with me! Get a brass probe yet?

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
No, but my screwdrver technique has really mellowed since I found this spot and dinged some stuff. This place is such that if the target is much deeper than 2 inches, you can't get to it. I mean you could, but my goal here is to leave as little footprint as possible. Erosion in a historic place needs to be prevented. I don't move the stones, and believe me, they go 7-12 inches into the ground. If it isn't laying shallow in the grit around the edges, it won't be found by ME. I am just pumped to have a spot with an occasional possibility. A first for me, for sure.

Attachments

• cobbles Detail.jpg
    cobbles Detail.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 342

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spot to hunt...

Hey, I see the edge of what looks to be a coin in one photo!!

Better get back there!

HH

Lonewolfe

R

rvbvetter

Great coins!! I bet your Clad you found this place. It's somewhat like I had pictured. Except I expected more round rocks. Some 15 or so years ago, I seen a story in a Treas. Mag.
Where an old canal passed through a town,and along side of it and the length of the canal, was an old cobble street. Two people detected the street and literally plucked dozens of old coins from in between the stones. All on edge. And if I rember right, they weren't allowed to disturb the stones. So they came up with some novel Ideas how to recover the coins
Good luck on your site. WTG!! HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll be!? It is as I had pictured it after all.? I don't think anyone on this forum would jump your site if you didn't want them to. I certainly have no intention of driving to wherever you said it was !? Tulsa still has a few blocks of old? original brick streets that goes back before statehood but they are protected under Historic Preservation laws.? Urban Renewal was tearing them up several years ago and the state put a stop to it thank goodness.? I have located a lot of old WPA? projects that are abandoned that I hope to hunt one of these days.? Most of them are just a shell of a building or an abandoned swimming pool or a sidewalk, etc.? ?There are probably a few WPA remnants in just about every town and they would be a good place to hunt.? Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your posts. Monty
P.S. Forgot to say thanks for the photo!

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Slug Hunter said:
I mean you could, but my goal here is to leave as little footprint as possible.? Erosion in a historic place needs to be prevented.

Way to go, Slug! I'm always happy to see someone taking a responsible approach; it's another great way to keep our hobby on the good side of the non-detectorists!
Ruth

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, looks like a cool place to hunt !

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lonewolfe said:
Nice spot to hunt...

Hey, I see the edge of what looks to be a coin in one photo!!

Better get back there!

HH

Lonewolfe

LOL - made me look!

Kent

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Monty said:
Well, I'll be!? It is as I had pictured it after all.? I don't think anyone on this forum would jump your site if you didn't want them to. I certainly have no intention of driving to wherever you said it was !? Tulsa still has a few blocks of old? original brick streets that goes back before statehood but they are protected under Historic Preservation laws.? Urban Renewal was tearing them up several years ago and the state put a stop to it thank goodness.? I have located a lot of old WPA? projects that are abandoned that I hope to hunt one of these days.? Most of them are just a shell of a building or an abandoned swimming pool or a sidewalk, etc.? ?There are probably a few WPA remnants in just about every town and they would be a good place to hunt.? Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your posts. Monty?
P.S.? Forgot to say thanks for the photo!
Nice eye finds Slug. Don't want to get all political here, or take the low road, but I think you're doing the right thing keeping it "close to the vest". When I first came to this site I was warned by some of the sages not to tell too much about my hunts. I agree with Monte's ideal that the people you know here wouldn't bushwhack your site, but look at the membership numbers and remember that 10,000 people aren't posting here. Most are hunting for info about locations. I learned this the hard way by divulging the location of one of my more lucrative spots and was greeted the following weekend by 6 other MD'rs 2 of which volunteered that they read about it on this site, 1 that just smiled and 1 that wouldn't even talk to me (that hurt). Don't get me wrong, there's plenty for everyone and I like hunting with friends (made a few that day). I've heard many members say that they thought there was a strong resemblance between fishing and MD'ing. I agree, you can keep your mouth shut and catch some nice ones or tell the world and wonder where all the fish went. Sooner or later others will find your honey holes, but at least for a while, use your poker face :-X Sorry for the length of my wind...Just my 2 cents~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread