Rare Railroad lock?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Had dubbed today a "Family Day" and had no intention of hunting.....however, by about 5:00 my family had enough of me and they were all hiding or crashed in various areas of the house.
O.K......maybe just a short hunt before dark :wink:(just to get out of thier hair).
With little time, I headed to a little park in Scaryville.(Flint)...theres great finds to be made in Flint, but its an unnerving area for a dweeb like me.
Anyway, as I pull up to the park, I notice that the thicket on the back side had been brush-hogged....some new ground! I mosey back there and start tectin with my disc up a bit to help make sense of the ever present trash layer. First diggable signal I get is a high VDI....dollar size, and its deep.About a foot down I find my prize...an old railroad lock. The locking bar is broke but the lock itself is solid brass and in good shape. I tuck it in my pouch and continue on for about an hour, finding a 70s pocket spill, a dark green glass bezel thing, a nice 24 Merc, a flipping coin, and finally a 39 Wheatie. The Merc was a nice find , however the lock was definitely the most exciting find. I did a quick search when I got home. Not yet sure of its age or orgin, but I did find one that was complete and sold on Ebay in 99 for 360.00.....must be a goody!
Both ends of the locking bar are there ....seems like it could be easily restored if it could be dissassembled??
Well...heres the pics....best of luck to all, and to all you Michiganders....its begining to look alot like Christmas!

Attachments

• PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 758
  • PICT0031.JPG
    PICT0031.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread