Rare Railroad lock?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Had dubbed today a "Family Day" and had no intention of hunting.....however, by about 5:00 my family had enough of me and they were all hiding or crashed in various areas of the house.
O.K......maybe just a short hunt before dark :wink:(just to get out of thier hair).
With little time, I headed to a little park in Scaryville.(Flint)...theres great finds to be made in Flint, but its an unnerving area for a dweeb like me.
Anyway, as I pull up to the park, I notice that the thicket on the back side had been brush-hogged....some new ground! I mosey back there and start tectin with my disc up a bit to help make sense of the ever present trash layer. First diggable signal I get is a high VDI....dollar size, and its deep.About a foot down I find my prize...an old railroad lock. The locking bar is broke but the lock itself is solid brass and in good shape. I tuck it in my pouch and continue on for about an hour, finding a 70s pocket spill, a dark green glass bezel thing, a nice 24 Merc, a flipping coin, and finally a 39 Wheatie. The Merc was a nice find , however the lock was definitely the most exciting find. I did a quick search when I got home. Not yet sure of its age or orgin, but I did find one that was complete and sold on Ebay in 99 for 360.00.....must be a goody!
Both ends of the locking bar are there ....seems like it could be easily restored if it could be dissassembled??
Well...heres the pics....best of luck to all, and to all you Michiganders....its begining to look alot like Christmas!

Attachments

• PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 758
  • PICT0031.JPG
    PICT0031.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods
HEADS token what is it lol cool ;D

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Wow. Great finds jopher. I hunt sometimes with a guy from Lapeer and a guy from Clarkston. Maybe sometime we'll hunt some parks in Flint with ya. Give ya some back up. We've hit the Flint area a few times...it is pretty scary.

DH24

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Nice rack?

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha. That "heads" token is great. :thumbsup:

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I've seen those "heads" "tails" tokens before but haven't found one to call my own!

Congrats on the finds. Can't help with any info on the lock, but it's a nice one!

:thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fines there.....Matt

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o What a GREAT lock, Joe! 8) Very nice hunt!

Nana :)

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds jopher! great score on the lock, all neat finds. looked like a foot of snow out there this morning :icon_scratch: crazy michigan weather HH

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thanks for all the kind replies.
Spoke to an "expert" online about the lock.....given the obvious condition issues, the lock wouldnt be that desirable to a collector. So I said screw it and cleaned it up....Looks desirable enough for my collection ;D

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 389

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I LIKE THE RAILROAD LOCK. BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR HUNTS. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions