1924 Election

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello all...

I had an interesting dug item on Saturday...

JohnDavis.jpg

John W. Davis was Calvin Coolidge's opponent in the 1924 election. John Davis was a former VW congressman and carried the 12 souther states compaired to Coolidge's 35 state lanslide winning bid...

I love metal detecting and the stuff we get to learn along the way :-)

WikiPedia Data

This rang like a 1/2 dollar at 6" ... Its the size of a quarter but thicker...

HH,
Paul

Upvote 0

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

It's a nice find!

John Davis items usually have some extra value. He was the Democratic candidate for president in 1924, running against the heavily-favored incumbent, Calvin Coolidge. So dark were Davis' chances that donations were very low, and because of this, there wasn't much money for the creation of buttons or other campaign items. Sorry, I don't have access to my price books right now, so I cannot give you an idea of whether your item appears there or what it might be worth.

The only other thing I'm aware of Davis ever doing was that he argued the losing side of the Supreme Court cases in 1954 that brought racial integration to the schools of America--Brown vs. the Board of Education.

Congratulations,

Mike

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
John W. Davis (1873-1955), a West Virginia Congressman (1911-1913), served as U.S. Solicitor General (1913-1918) and Ambassador to Great Britain (1918-1921). In 1924, he was nominated for President at the longest Democratic Convention in history on the 103rd ballot at Madison Square Garden. Davis and his running mate, Governor Charles W. Bryan of Nebraska, were defeated on November 4, 1924 by the Republican ticket of Calvin Coolidge and Charles G. Dawes.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
another great history find! good job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread