One Hunt yields 9 different non-modern US coins.

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
Sorry I do not have any photos. Don't laugh when I tell you I don't have a digital camera!

Yesterday, I decided to check out a small area that my mom told me that they use to have picnics at when she was little.

The place was great. Very little trash, and mostly the good stuff.

Outside of the modern coins, (which I found 3 quarters, 6 dimes, 2 nickles, and 22 pennies) here are is the list of non-modern coins that I found.

1 Indian Head Cent
12 Wheaties
1 Two Cent piece (almost didn't dig it. It read Zinc cent, but I did anyway then was like "what is this" until I cleared the dirt off
1 Buffalo Nickle
1 Barber Dime. 1914 and was about 8 inches down. It is in excellent shape, no wear.
4 Merc. Dimes
5 Silver Rosies.
2 Silver Washington quarters
1 Walker half.

That is a total of 9 different non-modern coins in 1 hunt! (Silver coins aren't made anymore so that is why I'm counting them!)

I also found a really cool Pittsburgh Railways trolley token dated 1922.

I wish this place was bigger!!!!!!!!

Good Luck all!!!!!!

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. Now get back there and work it a different way. You be amaze on the coins you will fine on your next hunt there...Matt

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Sounds like you found a very productive site.If you hit that place again you will probably find more
silver and keepers.I would dig every signal there you never know what them iffy ones are.
Also welcome to the T-Net
Congrats

fortbball9

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Interesting

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job, now go get a camera or a scanner because we want to see!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a crazy haul for a day...sounds like you'll be pulling em up for quite a few more hunts yet....get the rest of those deeper ones like that 1914 barber...and i'd be digging everything. congrats!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be surprised how many targets you missed the first time.
especially if you detect the area next time going in the opposite direction.

Make sure to use the headphones and listen for the faint signals coming from the deeper objects.
Also don't forget to use all metal mode as well, especially if there is very little trash. The results may amaze you.

If I am in a good area like that I dig all signals in all metal and no discrimination. That's when the gold starts showing up!

GG~

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Very nice assortment of older coins. Definitely keep working this spot again and again from all different angles, and overlap your sweeps to make sure you cover every inch of ground.

The railway token sounds great - too bad you can't get a picture up of these finds.

Congrats!!!

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread