Hit the play ground of a small militery base closed in 1973 today.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Small Air Force Radar Base closed in 1973. Was supposedly locked up until reciently when purchased by private party. I was invited to detect the old play ground this afternoon. Was most dissapointed. I think it must have been hit hard long before now. Spent two hours there & found a key, broken cap gun parts & ONE 1963 Lonclon. I guess that it was a nice day for a two hundred mile round trip drive. Any day detecting is a good one but it is much sweeter when you find goodies.
Spotz

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sorry you didn't hit the motherload today Spotz. Got your heart all racing and everything. That stinks! You never know until you go! Better luck next time.

Happy Hunting!
Moon

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that so many of the "hot" sites I am able to identify are disappointing. On the other hand I have had good luck at the most unlikely spots. I have been concentrating on a so called "hunted out" city park for the past couple of days and the first day I found a class ring. Yesterday I picked up over $4.00 clad in about two hours when I went coin shooting! Never say never! Monty

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
AHA! Karma from posting a car and a coin in the same post!!!
NOW who's crazy!
Kidding. Bummer dude, but I was in the service and it doesn't seem like too much fun for the kids.
So maybe they don't play much. More likely some connected air farce guys already swung there.
You can always come and help me clean out my 30 acre spot.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spotz!

I'm sure you had lots of excitement for at least 100 miles!! ;)
Nana ;)

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Spotz...Sorry for the disappointment. ?I'm with Monte on this one. ?I've been doing much better with the "in your face obvious" locations than the "spend hours researching" ones. ?If my first thought about a spot is "Waste of time, everyone and their uncle has hunted that place!", ?I'm there! ?I just depend on the newer MD technologies, and slower hunting, to get me to the goodies everyone else overlooked. ?Better luck next time bud. ?Actually, you should still be riding the buzz from that Walking Liberty/Cool Car hunt. ?;D HH~CO2

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Found this on the way home from old Air Base.

It was not all a wasted trip. Just look see what I found on the way home on a back road route. It sits about 500 yards off the road & is surrounded by super soft summer fallow ground. You would sink 10 inches with every step. There is also another island around the old homestead dump site that does not show in the photo. There is no drivable trail out to it. I am working on finding the ranch owner to see if I can get permission. This place is only 50 miles one way out to the middle of nowhere. I'm hopeful!
Spotz

Attachments

• Please Detect Me.jpg
    Please Detect Me.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 271

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SPOTZ!

How awesome would that be! Hope you get to go back!

Beautiful picture!!!!

Good luck!

Nana ;)

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
spotz said:
Any time we can get out makes the day worthwhile, even if we get skunked.
Spotz
Daamn straight. ^

Man what a drool site. Nothing like that around here that I've found. I bet there's gold around that one!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome sites Spotz! I detect around many military bases here in Germany. Those playgrounds are now being child proofed with 3" rubber mating around any play equipment, bummer, I mean ahh, good idea, LOL! HH, Mike

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I never found anything worth telling around the playgrounds at the bases I've hunted either. The best spots are the out of the way areas where GI's would play ball or otherwise congregate. The PX is a great spot for mixed coins. HH! Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread