No Silver in this Wheat field

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
I live in a small town, mainly farming area, and recently a local business (nursing home) decided to expand on the south edge of their property (edge of town). To do that they purchased about twenty acres of land, part of which has two rather nice but older houses. One house is to be burned to the ground . . . the other has to be moved supposedly by Nov 1, 2005.

It was just too good a deal to pass up so I recently went to their office and asked to detect the grounds before construction begins. Much to my delight they said ?No problem and good luck.? Not knowing when the ?burn? might start (sometime before the end of Nov, weather permitting) I started that very day, Friday Oct 14, and started with the house to be burned.

Talk about a nice site!!! Listed below are my finds so far but the interesting part is . . . . . I have not found one single coin newer than 1983 (1) and 1984 (1)! And the nice part is the grass is short, the ground is relatively soft and there are almost NO pull tabs!!!! The first couple of days I found almost no junk and so far would say I have found about 5-6 pull tabs, a couple bottle caps, maybe 6-7 nails and only recently, towards the road and the edge of the property, have I started to hit some can slaw. It is SO nice to detect a nice clean, quiet piece of property! I already have my required pail of trash from other sites!

The burn house is the better of the two and where I have spent most of my time so far. I still have the back half of that property to do but I have given a quick look at the other house also. That is not going to be nearly as nice I?m afraid. The first house has wood siding but the OTHER one (the one they plan to move) was aluminum siding and hasn?t shown a great deal of promise so far. It?s the one that I started hitting nails and slaw on. The siding contractor must have used the lawn as his disposal.

Let me tell you this . . . . that Kennedy was my first and I was VERY pleased to see it! The kicker was that just shortly before I found it I had detected that big silver (aluminum) disc and thought it was a silver dollar for a second so I was a bit cautious when I first hit on that Kennedy.

My second big surprise has been the number of Wheaties I have found and especially the older ones. My big disappointment so far has been the lack of ANY silver and the fact that so far I have not found one Merc!! I have swept that first house in a crisscross pattern and very carefully but so far have found no silver. And yes I have found other silver at other sites and tried different modes, sens, and discrimination. However . . . I have not given up nor finished and maybe with a bit of rain that is forecast for this weekend plus another sweep of the grounds I will still find that missing silver. After all, it just HAS to be there . . . . somewhere.

Top Row L to R -
Kennedy Half (1) - 1972 D
Washington Quarters (4) - 1967, 1979 D, 1981 D, 1984 D

Second & Third Row plus part of Fourth L to R -
Jeff Nickel (1) - 1983 D
Roosevelt Dime (2) - 1968, 1980 D
Memorial Pennies ( 20) - 1982 D, 1980 D, 1978 (group of 3), 1977 D, 1976 D (3), 1975 D,
1974 D, 1971, 1971 D, 1970 D, 1968 D, 1968, 1967 (bent), 1961 D, 1960 D

Part of Fourth Row and all of Fifth Row L to R -
Wheat Pennies (9) - 1957 D, 1955 D, 1954 D, 1945, 1944 D, 1944, 1925, 1924, 1920

1 metal in the shape of maybe a scout emblem with initial ?L?
1 silver (aluminum) disc the size of a silver dollar that faked me out.
1 ?Frosty Morn? disc that seems to pertain to flowers (??)
1 Lead cowboy on a rearing horse.
1 Yellow ?Hot Wheels?, my first.
1 Brass plate of some sort that says, ?Wilson Model 4" on it and large ?S?in the center . Have no idea what it might be . . . . something sports related??

Attachments

• Pine C South Lot.jpg
    Pine C South Lot.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
My first thought is that it would be the skid plate at the bottom of an old Wilson Persimmon driver for the game of golf.
Maybe a "4 Wood"? I love that lead figure.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul!

HH

Lonewolfe

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ? That's what it is . An older 4 wood sole plate.? Golf nut here, as well as detector nut and general all around nut.? ? Nice haul!!? ? You would think there's silver there someplace.? May have never got past the offering plate, but keep looking.? ? WTG!!? ? ?HH

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I know how aggrvating that can be. ?I have a cupple sites and every time I go there I find wheaties, but no silver. ?I know the saying, "where you find wheaties, there has to be silver." I always tell myself that, but at times I think maybe this is the site where only pennies were lost. Nonetheless, I return and two weeks ago I found a 43 merc at one of those sites. So who knows, just be persistant I guess. Good luck.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Nice haul. I'm sure the silver will come, you're definately finding coins in the right timeframe.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Hobo.

Sounds like your doing a real job on that property, and also a nice report on your activity. Gave an excellent
picture of what is going on.

9 wheat's and no silver, has to be there??????

I sure would hit it as much as you can prior to the burn. Burns I have seen result in someone coming in after the
burn and hauling off or burying what is left; nails and junk all over.

Best of luck in pulling up those silvers, must, must be there..

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW Hobo!!! That was a lot of diggin!!!! Great finds!!!!

I think my favorite of your finds has to be the "cowgirl" ! ;D

Looks like a cowgirl to me!!! ;)

Congrats on your finds!!

Nana ;)

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read a post or an article long ago where someone kept up with the statistics of their wheat to silver ratio and seems like it was about 10:1. So go ahead and get that 10th wheat out of the way then you should be a Merc from the ground. ;D

Kent

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job hobo!I also have found 2 of those aluminum discs this week.Apparrently they are a tag for rose plants,or perhaps others.They also "faked" me out too ,LOL. WTG on the wheats.Keep at it ,the silver is there.

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 175

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions