weekend on the stones ahead,Saturday and Sunday in the books

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
Went out at 1 pm, it was crazy, I got off at 12:30 Friday and got out and swung it for 5.5 hours and almost got skunked.? I found a lead weight, 3 dozen non-copper pennies, a few copper pennies, no wheats, 2 nickels, 12 dimes, a drawer pull, a 45 slug that looks unfired through a barrel, maybe popped out of the brass for some reason, maybe it's CW era, likely modern, though.? But again, in super silver discrimination, managed to eyeball my third Buffalo nickel (1920?), this one on edge between stones and I should have missed it by all rights.? So I survived without a skunking for the fifth straight day at my super-spot, but old things are thinning out a bit.? I guarantee it is nowhere near tapped out, I think I am just getting tired and lazy.? My feet are SOOOO sore from walking on these stones.? Perhaps I will slow way down Saturday and have a dynamite day.? I am still hoping for some gold, and at least a V-nickel of indian head penny.? I need to pull up something spectacular tomorrow to keep me interested, lol.

Upvote 0

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Re: Cobblestoning weekend ahead, nearly skunked today

Keep at it, it will happen............eventually.... ;)? Now go soak your feet...... :P

GL & HH,

DugHoles

R

rvbvetter

Re: weekend on the stones ahead, nearly skunked today

Are you running disc. low enough for nickles? IH on edge can give less than a good signal. May need to except nickles to get them. Good luck on the wknd and stay away from those skunks. Didn't anybody ever tell you about those little stinkers? HH

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Again! Remember! Nothing worthwhile is ever easy! If it was easy, everybody could do it.
Spotz

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee

rvbvetter said:
? ? ?Are you running disc. low enough for nickles?? IH on edge can give less than a good signal. May need to except nickles to get them.
No, I am all the way to the right, almost discriminating silver, lol. But on this first pass, I am looking for the good stuff, knowing that in the future I can get all the other stuff with the accompanying hassles. This place is a garden of pull tabs, new and old, screw caps, old type bottle caps, nails and anything else you can imagine. The masking going on is truly phenomenal. To really get the site done, I am going to have to eliminate as many of these items as I can, and discrimination won't get it, I have to get down and pick them up to open up the site for the good stuff. It is a daunting task. and to think that for the first week, I was not picking up pull tabs to throw away. Wasted bending if you ask me. There has to be a ton of stuff being masked by crap. No gold or nickels until I do some serious cleaning. A guy at work wants to search the site soon, so I had been leaving the masks in place, lol. He says how he is going to find all the stuff I missed with his hitech rig, and he is right, too, but I was determined to make it as hard on him as possible. What makes me mad is how many people by nervous habit pop these new style pull tabs off the can, something that they were designed to prevent. There are more of these than the 70s style if you can believe it. I knew that you could. Talk to all of you Saturday night!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Keep up the good work! Sounds like a great spot.

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee

Saved from a skunking by a wheatback. Shocking morning of sore feet. 8 am to 1:30 pm and managed to pull up 2 quarters, 9 dimes, one 62 MPenny, about 3 dozen other pennies, every bit of 2 pounds of pulltabs, screws wire, just a ton of stuff but nothing really of note in the best place to hunt I ever found. I am going to go back tonight and tomorrow, so maybe the day will not be a total loss. And heck, almost two dollars in clad is not a skunking, but I was on such a roll!

R

rvbvetter

That's ok There's that one really special one waiting there for you.
NO!! Not the wife. The coin. Sheesh! HH

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
Re: weekend on the stones ahead,Saturday in the books

Yipes, escaped Saturday without admitting to a clad only defeat. The two wheats I got, 51D's were enough to call session 1,
8-1:30 something of a success. Session 2 was 3:30 to 6 was clad-happy too, with a total in clad for the day of 20 dimes and 3 quarters, and a hill of pennies. BUTanother of the so called "heading-back-to-the-truck" swings proved it's importance, BANG, the original goal of the entire year, nearly forgotten in all of the other firsts, THE MERCURY DIME! yahoo. I honestly never thought I would see one, and you would think it wouldn't be that hard to find one, they were made into the 40's and I find 40's nickels all the time. But no Mercs. So heading in, kind of depressed about a first silver-free day in the new spot, ding, she chirps up and announdces her presence. I can finally see one up close. So that kind of puts some more pressure on tomorrow. I think I am heading into the soft dirt near the bottom of this site, my feet hurt too much to play around on the cobbles on Sunday. But I am really looking for something big to bang out the weekend!

Attachments

• almost day1.jpg
    almost day1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 361
  • almost day2.jpg
    almost day2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 355

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Re: weekend on the stones ahead,Saturday in the books

Alright! It could be that heavy rain or water from wherever washed the lighter silver dimes to a lower elevation.

Seems like once you break into a new series they just start coming. I found my first barber about 6 weeks ago and my second 3 weeks ago. I'll probably have to do some reasearch to break into the seated dimes.

good luck tomorrow.

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
I just gave up. I have been looking DOWN for so many days in a row I turn my head like I am wearing a cervical collar. My feet feel like hamburger, but I would have done another FULL DAY if it hadn't been for the wind. Went out at 9 am, left at 1:30 and only managed 8 dimes and 4 quarters. NO SILVER, NO BUFFALOS, NO GOLD....well, OK, ONE gold! I had just gotten out and I was trying to figure out where to start and after about 50 feet I see this snap, like you see on a glasses case or something. It is part of this silver dollar sized leather case, but the case is completely gone, just obliterated. Tos show you how bad it was, when I picked it up it turned to dust. I eyeballed this first and then swung over it, got a low tone and then a high tone and then thought maybe it had some kind of plated ring in it. so I poked at it with my screwdriver and it fell apart, lol. Inside there was some kind of cloth bag with a tiny safety pin closing it. This got my curiousity up for sure, but I am still thinking nothing much.
This is what was inside. I tore up the area and found nothing else, not even a nickel for 20 feet.

Attachments

• GOLD1.jpg
    GOLD1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 302
  • GOLD2.jpg
    GOLD2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 298
R

rvbvetter

? ? ?Are you serious?!!!!!? ? ? ? Holy Mackeral!!!!!!!!!!? ? ? ? ?WOW!!!!? ? ? ?Congratulations.!!!!!
The safety pin does look old. Do you think you would have found it or dug it, if you couldn't have seen it, and just your detector passed over it? HH

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Very nice!!!!! I cant even wonder what it would be like to find one. I do see one at my folks house alot, my mother has one turned into a necklace that has been passed down from Great grandmother to grandmother to mother and so fourth. Unfortunatly for me it will be passed down to my sister in tradition being im the Son lol. Very nice and WTG!!!....HH....Bill

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is soooo awesome!! Guess it's time to hang the 'tecter up and call it quits......just kiddin' get back out there and find some more!! Congrats, you have reached a milestone only a few will reach...

HH

Good luck on finding another...

'

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?VERY,VERY NICE!

? Thats my dream find. I can just picture you tearin up the area too LOL
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ?Any mint mark under the wreath?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
rvbvetter said:
? ? ?Are you serious?!!!!!? ? ? ? Holy Mackeral!!!!!!!!!!? ? ? ? ?WOW!!!!? ? ? ?Congratulations.!!!!!?
The safety pin does look old. Do you think you would have found it or dug it, if you couldn't have seen it, and just your detector passed over it?? ? ? ? HH
i WOULD HAVE EVENTUALLY SWUNG OVER IT, AND i WOULD HAVE HEARD IT GO OFF...OOPS, sorry.? I wold have gotten to it since it was on the ground soon to be covered by my next pass on the grid.? Would I have seen it, likely yes, as I have trained my eyes to look where I swing after eyeballing three buffalos.? The little leather pouch looked pretty old when I saw it, so I might have stopped and checked it out.? It looked very much out of place lying there.? So yes, I think I would have caught it, but I am glad I eyeballed it when I did, cause who knows if I would heve gridded over? left or right?? It is super clean with only a ding in the reeding, not put there by me.? No mintmark.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow, I just saw the Gold Coin! You should post it under best finds. Maybe with all your stuff from that spot. That is really spectacular. The picture is neat too. You really hit it big. I think you can take the rest of the year off. ;D

Guess when your hot your hot!

Bob

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang! That is an AWESOME find! I agree, post it in the Best Finds forum. That is an awesome site you found there Slug.

Kent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread