Wow

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Had a not so good day not even one coin so yah im hoping next time will be better.
I have a question though i have one of the bounty hunter metal detectors from big 5 and I am becoming a little annoyed with it lack of telling me trash from treasure. So anyways my question should I save up for a whites and is there a way to tell if you have a good spot because sometimes a spot i think is hopeful turns out terrible.

- Washingtonian

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

Which Bh you got there. I might be able to give some suggestions. Is this your first machine?

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
yah its my first machine ive had it for about a year and a half but got into md this summer. Its a bounty hunter vlf treasure detector.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
There is a White's dealer in Renton, they rent detectors, and are very helpful. Rent a good machine for a weekend and see what you come up with.

Paul

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My White's XLT usually IDs nice little rings as trash but it's right on when IDing an American coin. I don't think it's the detector, you just really have to get to know the machine. I usually dig everything but that's just not possible in some places. You might take a few targets and place them in small plastic containers of dirt, coins, rings and foil type trash and play around with it. HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Yes, go with mike's suggestion and do some testing to get familiar with your machine and what signals sound like in a "controlled" environment.. You will have to experiment with diff. depths & combinations.

Bob

J

joetoffton

check on the ground balance. If the ground balance is off the machine will not " Talk" to you properly.

Joe

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
No metal detector in the world can consistently tell the difference between trash and treasure, if they could, do you think anyone would buy the other kind?? It's simply a matter of a physical property of metals called conductivity.? Plain and simple, gold conducts electromagnetic waves in the same way a pull tab does.? Sad but true.? The more you work with your unit, lol, the more you will be able to detect subtle hints that are trying to tell you what you need to know.? Most of us ignore them for as long as it takes to get really angry.? You ever hear the expression "fool me once, shame on you"?
It's like the first time your brain goes "Ding...I know that's the same thing that happened when I dug that malt liquor cap, I got a silver tone, then I got nothing, and when I tried to pinpoint it, it only rang about half the time and covered about 10 inches of possible locations...I ain't gonna dig THAT signal, it's a screw cap."? MOST of the stuff you really want to dig rings true backwards and forwards, left and right.? Hope that helps.? After you dig crap a few hundred times, you will remember the subtle hints it gave you every time but you were too pumped up to catch.

outtachaos

Jul 2, 2005
Central Kentucky
Yeah man, stick with it. I use a Bounty Hunter as well and I can "usually" tell whats coming outta the ground before I dig it. You will learn that machine. And if possible...............dig everything!!

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state
I had a crappy metal detector for 3 years. I could never tell the diffrence between the singals. I still had fun though. I finally got a DFX and although I still dig some junk up every once in a while, not nearly as much and I have a lot more fun.

I am still learning it I pretty much just keep it on coin mode and find all coins and any good jewelery. Maybe we can try to get a few of us washington folks together and hunt somewhere. You can try mine out if you like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions