27.8 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

Not all silver is .925 though,

some countries use 'coin silver' for stuff like that,

I'd have it checked it out,

hh

lonewolfe

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I believe its silverplated, It says "EMC" and i think thats a kind of way to silver plate stuff, but its still vintage i think.

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
I belive the EM Co is the manufacture of the tray and has nothing to do with the amount of silver.The 142.0 could indicate the silver content.The book on silver that I have doesn't cover Canadian silver.Maybe you should do an extensive web search on google or contact a silver expert.Don't write it off until then.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JakePhelps said:
Heres one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7354206121&category=39438

According to this one its silverplate, but yours could be diferent.? Anyone have a silvermarks book?

It sure looks like you found it. It could be the company made both solid and plate. But, I'm guessing Mark hit it on the first time.

When did they start doing plating anyway?? I know the Romans did silvering, but I mean modern electro-plating?

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hey zeb, you could email the seller of that item and ask if they know anything about the company or history of that plate :) I do it all the time, usually they are very helpfull.

lehidan

Greenie
Aug 13, 2005
::) ::) if it seems heaver than silver might weigh it could be pewter. pewter will get a thicker black tarnish than silver will. most silver tarnish has an oil swirl type apearence to it whereas pewter just gets very black. Judging by the size compared to the hand holding it it might be an old sacrement tray from a church

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it's very heavy and there are many very old churches in that small town. I sure wish I could get permission to hunt around every house. I know a guy who digs bottle privies in that town and he makes out big time. He splits the take with the owner. This is hard to do when all you find is one great find in a yard. And people don't want you messing with their yards.

I've often wondered how much a person could find if he (she) had total freedom to hunt anywhere he liked for one entire summer. Hey, this is a cool question! See the metal detecting post! I've asked this there. Come and comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread