evil eye found!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's a few finds from the holiday weekend, including an Evil Eye pendant.? Unfortunately the chain was so small it couldn't be found, if it was still there.? It had to have broken as the bale was intact.? The eye is 10k and the other two are 14k.? The coins are from Cuba, and given current relations between us these are hard to come by!? The watch is still running.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's a blurb from a web search on the eye (from GreekShops.com)

=================================================================
An Evil Eye Primer

Amongst Greek superstitions, the Evil Eye is one of the oldest and widely believed myths. According to superstition, a glance of the Evil Eye is believed to have the ability to cause injury or death on those who it falls. Belief in the evil eye is ancient and ubiquitous: it occurred in ancient Greece and Rome, is found in Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, and Hindu traditions and in folk cultures and preliterate societies. The evil eye has persisted throughout the world into modern times.

In Greek history, Evil Eye charms can be traced to Ancient Greece. Paintings found on Greek triremes over two thousand years old, feature an Eye painted at the front of the trireme in an attempt to ward off the Evil Eye and protect the trireme while at sea. In Jewish culture, the evil eye (or "ayin harah" in Hebrew) is thought to be connected to one of the Ten Commandments, and is very much a part of basic Judaism. Arabs have also been known to include blue into amulets and gold coins since according to superstition blue provides protection from the effects of the Evil Eye. A painting of an Evil Eye is also known to be as effective, and Turkish glass artists have been creating such charms (known as "Nazar Bonjuk") for centuries.

Today, it its impossible walk through a Greek jewelry or gift store without encountering blue glass Evil Eyes in many sizes and shapes. GreekShops.com offers a wide selection of Evil Eye jewelry and decorative items for your home. These are hand-made pieces imported from Greece which can protect you against the Evil Eye for years to come!
=================================================================

No endorsement or affiliation is expressed or implied between GreekShops.com and myself or TreasureNet.? The object I found may not be from this dealer.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you post that thing here for? Now we have all looked at it! I don't want to get injured or die!
You must melt this horrid thing down before it destroys us all!

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
I often wondered where the term "giving someone the evil eye" came from, but now I know.
Thanks,
BRD

L

long_gunr

As children, we (brother, sister and I) were all given amulets called "Mati". My Great Grandmother was from Greece. She grew up in a remote village in Northern Greece. It was later explained to me that the "Mati" protected children from the envious evil eyes of adults who had no children or children who were ugly or feeble. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions