Sundays and Tuesdays Finds

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Sundays and Tuesday's Finds

Short 2 hour water hunt the morning of the 4th.
No silver rings this time but I did get one fine 14k white gold ring. Seems to be my time for plated chains. Another toy car for my collection and a silver chain and pendant.Stayed home and rested on Monday (still recovering from my battle with the waves last Friday).Back in the water on Tuesday for 2 1/2 more hours (used a lot of my time explaining to a couple tourists why Metal Detecting shouldn't be banned, but thats another story). No gold this time(first in a while) but I'll settle for this sweet little Platinium band and a couple silver toe rings. Three kids pendants and a pin for 2002 wildcats baseball. That sharp looking thing at the end of the row of quarters is a broken safety pin which will be saved in my collection of things you wouldn't want to find in your foot

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sundays and Tuesday's Finds

Nice finds ping. I am waiting for the day to come when the lifeguards or the do-gooders of the world decide that we are too annoying for their quality beach time. The way I see it is that they are doing what they like to do (laying around like beached whales trying to get a sunburn) and I am doing what I like to do (which is to find the gold, coins, and jewelry that sloughs off them). When it comes to whether they think it should be banned pull out the things like all the lead we find in the environment (and remove), the bottles and glass that they might step on that we remove, the bobby pins, knives, sharp pieces of aluminum, tent stakes, needles, razorblades, etc that are left just under the sand they want to run their feet through and then see their tune change! Keep up the good work! Looks like you have the beaches all to yourself over there. 8)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Save the plated junk! After you have a few pounds you can send it in to have the gold recovered!

Nice finds!

OP
OP
G

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
The other story

When I'm detecting in the water while people are around I leave one side of my headphones off for safety. A couple went by me on their way out of the water. Not knowing I could hear them the man said to his wife "he's treasure hunting" and she said " they should BAN that because it's probably bad for the fish". I'm not the kind a guy that useally confronts people, but that just hit a nerve. As i watched them dry off and sit down on their beach mats she reapplied her suntan oil, make-up and fresh perfume.
Now my 35 year old son is a marine biologist and he has told me the biggest threat to the near shore coral reefs in my area is oils from the thousands of tourists that snorkel here every week. So I went to my truck got my photo album. Went to the couple and asked them if they enjoyed seeing all the fish. They said yes of course. Then I said "I noticed you were walking barefooted did you step on any nails?".They said "no". My next question to them was "did you see any pull-tabs, bottle caps, car batteries , cans or other rubbish while you were out there snorkeling?".
They said "no". Then I opened my photo album and showed them the pictures of all the car batteries, d cells, AAA cells, pull-tabs, bottle caps,nails, syringes,cans, pieces of cans, etc that i removed from the water and beach in the last year.Then I showed them pictures of happy people I took after finding their lost wedding bands and engagement rings for them. Then I told the lady I heard her statement about Banning metal detecting and asked her how much she would have enjoyed the water if all that rubbish was still on the beach and in the water, or having stepped on one of those nails. Then I pointed at the big diamond ring she was wearing and asked how she would feel if she lost that in the water and no one was able to go find it for her because Metal Detecting was against the law?. I reminded her that she herself had passed through several giant metal detectors at the airport on her way here and if you think my little metal detector is harming the fish what are those giant ones doing to you... I'll bet she takes a boat home.

Thanks for reading my rant
Oh yea No problems with the lifeguards here for me. They know I'll pick up all the trash I see including paper&plastics and deposit it in the nearest trash can.

fishlips

May 17, 2004
Texas

Good for you!!
Thats so true, how many people trash the beaches that we like to go to, then complain. :-X If we did not pick up the trash people would cut there feet! They are worried about the fish being harmed, what about all the trash harming our fish!! WE our helping our environment and having fun at the same time.

Happy Hunting
Annette

Happy hunting
Annette

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Way to go, Gold_pinger! My feelings exactly! It ticks me off big-time every time I dig up a battery. But not many people realize that a battery works because you have two different metals in close contact, and they exchange electrical valences via a conductive medium. Well, any two metals will do, really, and since salt water is conductive, all you need is a few pull-tabs and nails in reasonably close proximity to turn the shore into a massive battery system. Can't be good for the fish. Mel Fisher's group heard lots of complaints about disturbing history when they recovered the Atocha, but they have done studies which confirmed bringing all that metal out of the water significantly helped bring back teams of fish that otherwise couldn't tolerate the electromagnetic fields.

Out of curiosity, did you mention the suntan oil and perfume? I've never seen experiments on this, but I bet fish couldn't swim in a tankful of that stuff! I sure wouldn't want to drink it, or bathe in it!

And KUDOS to you for educating those people! You handled it well, and far better than I could have done! Thanks for putting detectorists in the limelight! 8)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lab Rat, I agree with your statements, but if the metal thing is true about the Atocha, then how come fish flock to such sites and create artificial reefs on old metal ships? Just curious.
BTW, During the 4th of July I went up to a cop giving a guy a ticket on the beach for some infraction. I ask him,"Do you guys ever give out littering tickets?".(In CA its a $1000 ticket for littering, but they are rarely given out) He said, " Occasionally we do, but thats for Environmental Services to do." Seems kind of strange that they give that job to the garbage collectors to do. I told him that the city is always complaining about never having enough cops out there and not being able to fund any new ones. Then went on to tell him that if you did the math, they could employ at least 10 new cops just by writing more littering tickets. If each cop wrote 30-40 of these a month (that's only one per day). They could easily do three things. Justify their existence, fill the city coffiers, and clean up the beaches that we are so proud of here in SO. CA., but.... the city is very short sided when it comes to making $, they only want to tax us more and spend more. I've seriously thought about attending a city council meeting with pictures and facts to prove my point. 8)

BRD

Mar 26, 2004

Good going Gold-pinger,
You did an excellent job of standing up for us detectorists. You educated at least two people about metal detecting. I try to pick up all the trash that I "eyeball" as well as the trash that I dig while detecting. That is unless I'm detecting a park of similar area that has so much trash that it becomes overwhelming to try to remove it all.
Keep up the good work.
BRD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread