May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't get much rarer than this one!

Henry I
Circa 1119

Only 4 coins recorded at this mint. This is the ONLY 1 of this type at this mint.

This period was full of plated fakes, so they often turn up bent to test them or cut. Due to the broken coins & the fact some where rejected a decree was made that all coins were 'snicked' with a cut before they left the mint. Mine has this tiny snick.

What is amazing about this coin, other than the condition (its better in the hand) is the extra large flan which at a time of silver shortage would have made it very over-weight. See the picture of it next to the ones in the book & notice the size difference :o Anyone could have easily cut this one down to proper size & lived for 1 week of the cutting! So how this ended up lost in such amazing condition, I'll never know!

For those interested in value, I could pretty much name my price (not that I ever will), but about $1000.

I have said a few times this year that I wanted a good shortcross but this is a find of a lifetime!

UPDATED:
The mint was very thoroughly studied in an article published in 1999, where there were recorded four types for this moneyer in the reign of Henry I. No other types had been recorded since 1999, but this is now another type to add to the list.

Above is part of an email I just recieved, so as I thought, its pretty damn rare. WHOOHOOO.......

SCANNED IMAGES ADDED

Attachments

• coin.JPG
    coin.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 4,424
  • coin1.JPG
    coin1.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,293
  • coin2.JPG
    coin2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 4,207
  • Henry I Scan1.jpg
    Henry I Scan1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3,239
  • Henry I Scan.jpg
    Henry I Scan.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3,249
Upvote 6
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
In which field did you find this? Sure a good field, thats for sure.

One of our worst fields based on past experience.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't know how to act finding something that old. Crusader....... you always find the good stuff. You are a true master to the hobby. WTG on perservering and working so hard. You are the man of men :D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
I wouldn't know how to act finding something that old. Crusader....... you always find the good stuff. You are a true master to the hobby. WTG on perservering and working so hard. You are the man of men :D

Cheers, you would do the same in my situation :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread