DickH

Greenie
Dec 6, 2008
Port Orchard, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back at a ten acre home site I hit last week trying to work my way through the trash to get to the good stuff. The 20's-30's house recently torn down is said to be the replacement for a turn of the century homestead.
I had a solid signal indicating a dime or quarter at 2". When I'd dug down three inches I figured it was just another beer can; but I continued to dig -to remove the trash. Imagine my surprise when I started to pluck walnuts from the hole. Between 3" & 6" I pulled out over 35 intact walnuts. The pinpointer wasn't registering anything but the DFX kept saying 2". I put down the knife and got out my folding shovel and dug another twenty inches or so and finally pulled out the rusted remains of a bucket with wire bale - like a paint can maybe - only the bale and part of the rim identified it. I'm guessing that somehow a bucket of walnuts got buried and over the years the lighter {than dirt} walnuts percolated toward the surface. By the way, walnut trees are few and far between in my area so this was obviously someone's stash of walnuts.

I keep finding splitting wedges - third this year; and lots of zinc canning jar lids - at least this one is totally intact - both lid and glass liner. The Wilson tennis racket is probably the funniest thing I've dug out - it'd been down there long enough that a root had grown totally around a pair of strings. If I can just get the junk cleared away I'm sure I'll find an old coin or two. Of course I'm that kid that will dive into the manure pile looking for the pony. -Dick

Attachments

• WalnutHole.jpg
    WalnutHole.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 608
  • HS-trash.jpg
    HS-trash.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 603
Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there's probably some really really cranky squirrel out there that's lost his cache. Congrats on the very interesting find, though.

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
Yep He's Gonna Get You!!!

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 436

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Way too funny Swingit!!!!! I once got a signal and dug up a toad! My girlfriend was with me and still has'nt let me forget about my 1500 dollar Toad detector! LOL

HH
Slipperyjack47

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've written several times about my "incidents" with squirrels. Evil, little minions, they enjoy playing havoc with my normal, rational senses. Had they seen me dig up one of their supply depots, things could have gotten ugly. At least you had a racket.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
thats funny

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Ive had 4 or five times ive dug a penut or a walnut right before i pulled out a silver coin. I think they think they have small metal detectors themselves for refinding their caches.

LT

wetrock

Feb 4, 2009
TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garret AT-Pro, GTI 2500 & 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're interested in knowing, you've also dug up a Model T rear differential (or atleast the two main parts of it).

Here's what they look like together:

IMG_2825.jpg

OP
OP
DickH

DickH

Greenie
Dec 6, 2008
Port Orchard, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swingit: Great photo! its a hoot. Photography is my other main hobby.

Wetrock: Thanks for the info! I thought that gear looked like it could be a differential but for what? I didn't have a clue. Also didn't have a clue as to that other big chunk - or even that it went witht he gear [dug them may ten feet apart]. Great info, greatly appreciated, thanks again. Dick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread