Marion Institute Marion Alabama button from old park

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
mlhudson and I went out for a little while this morning...first site was a possible CW site but we need to spend a lot of time there to remove the trash so we can find the goods......second site was an old park that sits on 3 old home sites...we believe that the city bulldozed a trash pile and built the playground and walking trail on top of the trash....no spetacular detecting finds today but we did manage a few cool bottles (cool meaning intact) among all the busted glass and stuff........only good find for me today was an eyeball find right next to the playground retaining wall.....a Marion Institute button from Marion Alabama .....can barely make out "Russell" on the back and possibly "Uniform".....not definate on that tho.......all i can find on the school is Marion Military Institute was established in 1842 ... since then they have produced more than 200 Generals and Admirals.......during the Civil War the Breckenridge Civil War Hospital was located on the campus....taking up 2 of the buildings......the dead were buried behind the campus then later exhumed and re-interred at St. Wilfrid's Cemetery (not sure where that is)....anyway have a peek at the pics and if anyone has more info it would be appreciated

Attachments

• MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 522
  • MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking old button good sign for some good finds, Charlie

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
HUNTING COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF THE CREEK WASN'T SO WIDE AND DEEP.. - LOL

THAT'S ALRIGHT I GOT A RUBBER DINGY
FOR THE NEXT TIME WE GO OVER THERE,

THERE'S "LEAD" ON THAT THERE HILL- LOL :icon_pirate

WE'll HIT THAT PLACE A LITTLE HARDER NEXT TIME,

MARTY AND ME HAD FUN ANYWAY,, CONGRATES ON THAT BUTTON ---- BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME

KEEPA DIGGIN

DIG EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN :icon_sunny:

MLHUDSON

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
great find grats

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Probably Russell Uniform Co., NYC. Not sure just when or how long the firm was in existence, but I do know that they were active from at least the 1870's to the 1950's.

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty, the button would have to be post 1887.
Samford Univ. in B'ham was founded in 1841 as Howard College in Marion, Perry Co., AL. In 1887, Howard moved to Birmingham, abandoning the campus. The remaining faculty and students under President J. T. Murfee immediately reorganized and founded Marion Military Institute, a military preparatory high school, utilizing the old Howard College campus in Marion, Alabama.
Hope this helps and Great Find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread