Vacation yields SPANISH SILVER!!!!!!

R

robbuckalew

Went on vacation to North Carolina To visit the in-laws. I was at the beach and digging up modern stuff when I ran into this Older gentleman named Herb. We talked for a while and it seemed as if he took a liking to me because he asked me if I wanted to join him at his secret spot. I said sure, he looked as if he really needed some company, off we went.
We drove for about a half an hour when we finally stopped off this dirt road which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.
He told me it was about a quarter mile walk into the woods. At this point I wondered if he was going to murder me and eat my liver :wink:

When we got there I thought to myself "this old man is crazy." There was nothing around but trees but I started swinging.
Half an hour later, not getting one hit I get a quarter signal and it was deep. Nine inches later The shimmer of silver was looking at me. At first I thought cool a silver quarter but after inspection I realized that it was not a quarter, it was not even from the United States . It turns out to be an 1818 2 reale!!! My heart was jumping out of my chest. At that point a let out a loud "wooohooo" Herb came over to see what I had found. I showed him the coin and he said "nice job kid"and reached into his pocket and pulled out 3 more spanish silver all 2 reales. I couldn't believe my eyes. That is when he said he has pulled out about 60-65 spanish silver reales at this spot. And only one other person knows about this spot other than me and you. We parted ways after a few more hours of hunting.
That was the only significant thing I found on vacation other than a cool story and a good friend. We exchanged phone numbers and will be keeping in touch.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Upvote 0

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vacation to in-laws...(gas , food )----- $500

Metal detector outfit-----------up to $1000

Meeting new friend and finding "treasure"................"PRICELESS "

(maybe some day that spot will be yours)........ :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Any of you novel readers would enjoy this possible twist to the story. "After finding the silver 2 Reales I decided to eat HIS liver and take this great spot for myself. Watch out though because eating organ meat can cause Gout. " ;D
Chris

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Wow! Sounds like a fantastic spot!
Congratulations on your find and your Great New Friend!!
I have a brother who lives in NC. You've got me thinking
that I may just plan a trip and see what NC has to offer.
His daughter and son inlaw own a farm........... have to
find out some more info on that. Will have to research.
Happy Hunting!!

John

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

I will also be doing some research. North Carolina has a lot of serious history.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that one at the flea market was 1821 and a 8 reale . -- much bigger coin than the 1818 - 2 reale -- two reale like a quarter -- 8 reale is like a silver dollar

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would have been reluctant to go somewhere with a complete stranger in todays world. But anyways, sounds like your still alive and brave for doing what you did. Sounds like there is a treasure burried around there. Maybe you ought to do a night hunt ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions