IMG_2164a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
7 inches would make it to small for the 60 to 70 lb bails around my area (my thoughts). The hay hooks i have seen were about 24 inches long and the hook part is about 4 inches across, the handle is a triangle type loop on the end.

I also thought is was hand held because of the three rings on the big end which would keep if from slipping out of your hand. If it was accidently bent there may be a mark from the damage.

Good luck with identifing.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
maybe its not a hook...i think it used to be straight. It looks copper, if it is then it is definetly not a tool. My guess is a fencepost topper or lightening rod/weathervane top. Lightning rods are hollow just as you described but filled in on the top.

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
;D Ok well I thought I would post a few ebay links of what I own and we called a hay hook. Ebay people call it many thing and use it for many different things. The big differeace is no handle to yours.? Hope this helps, you figure out if its just another styloe of hay hook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Antique-Vinta...oryZ1269QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ICE-HOO...yZ104043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAFF-HAND-GAFF-...ryZ23822QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

? ?HH
? ?Gigi? ;D

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
The hay hooks I use aren't more than eight inches or so. This is no hook. It doesn't appear to be anything like any hay, meat or logging hook I have ever seen (especially not a logging hook). It is possible of course that it was once straight and was bent purposefully by someone for the purpose of using it in some hooklike fashion. ...maybe it's a murder weapon...yikes... The truth is we can speculate on it but unless we've seen something similar, we can't make educated guesses. But it is fun to speculate sometimes! :D

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I do have thoughts on the idea that it once was straight, but with all these suggestions, i think it is or was a decorative item. it seams to fragile and sharp for anything heavy duty. right now i would think it is probably as lightning rod topper bent into something else. Keep on suggesting.

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
I am voting lightning rod topper now that I know the base is hollow and threaded. But I must have a better hay hook than you people do, cause mine is the twisting kind. Do you know what I mean? a T-handle that has two helical pointed tines that twist in opposite directions that you "screwed into a hay-bale to lift and then simply flicked your wrist to "unscrew" and drop it. I can post a pic of my hay-handle. Hell, it's for sale.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
if we knew what it was made out of we could disprove the hay hook theory, if it is indeed copper then its not a type of tool. Notice all the ones on ebay were smooth, round, and made out of steel/iron. This lacks all those.

morris

Jun 8, 2005
Arlington Texas
JakePhelps said:
if we knew what it was made out of we could disprove the hay hook theory, if it is indeed copper then its not a type of tool.? Notice all the ones on ebay were smooth, round, and made out of steel/iron.? This lacks all those.

you know your right the ones we used was iron but look the same as this one. if it is not Iron/steel
I would have no idea...

Morris
Ocala,Fl 8)

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Anyone guess for hanging plants? thats what it looks like to me, my mom used to hang plants on the porch off of similiar looking hooks and would even bring them in the house and had similiar looking hangers.... just a thought ;D

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here are the basic facts:
It is made of some sort of hard medal, i know because i tried to bent the tip
It looks a lot like a lightning rod topper, then bent for someting else
someone put a lot of time and effort into making this thing, it is perfectly curved and very sharp
it is threaded

and another thing: this hook must be around the turn of the century

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
well is it rusty or covered in a green patina? Is it magnetic? The fact that it has threads must mean it goes into another metal part, so that supports the lightning rod theory because they screwed into a metal base.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K I think I got it. I'm not sure what it really is but I think I know what it might of been used for

Could it be a lighting rod topper or something of that effect. Made into a weed cutter or hand held sickle blade. Like the old timers used to clear weeds and light brush from the farm before plowing the ground for planting.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page on this like.

http://www.scythesupply.com/blades.htm

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I doubt its a tool since no one would make a tool so ornamental looking at the base. Besides copper/brass typically was used for decorative items. I also doubt it was ever straight. The curve has no kinks or bends in the curve indicating someone purposely forced it out of its original shape. It's to smooth and consistent all the way to the tip - even the raised lip running up the middle isn't bent in anyway. Since the base is threaded, my guess is that it fell off some decorative furnishing (bed, sewing table, etc) on the way to the trash heap all farms kept nearby.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, My FINAL verdict on this would be a lightning rod that was either struck by lightning and melted into that form, or that it was a lighting rod that was made into a hook. I will only consider anything else if someone has a picture that matches mine exactly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread