old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

every time i'm out for a walk with a detector, and get skunked, i swing by my favorite old house site, and try to pull out something non-ferrous before calling it a day. got this button earlier in the week with the SE w/ pro coil. read like a screw cap, but i dig everything at this site. haven't pulled a coin younger than 1809 from this site, so it may be safe to assume that this button is referring to GW himself. no backmark...

three of the large cents are from my general ramblings this week with detector in hand.

the shield nickel and the draped bust large cent were pleasant surprises. there's an old, iron-infested road grade that i've pounded with the dfx and the se w/ pro coil up to the point that there are no longer any non-ferrous signals to be found. last night i put a 5" coil on the se, and worked a 10'x40' section really slow for over an hour. this site has produced three or four fatty IH's, and nothing else, so i dig anything that even hints that it's non-ferrous. only got two decent signals amidst the iron. the first was the nickel, and it rang and registered on the cross-hairs as a nickel, but was only an inch deep, so i was thinking i was gonna be pulling up a recent jefferson. imagine my surprise to see a shield nickel emerge from the dirt. 1869, still in the grass roots, and on a well-drained hill, so very nicely preserved. sweet! half an hour later, and ten feet away, i got another non-ferrous signal that sounded more like aluminum slaw or deep lead, and was astounded to to see a large copper disc pop up out of the hole, only three inches deep. most LC's come out of the ground here in upstate NY pretty toasty, but this one is one of the least-porrous i've seen. figures that it would be totally worn out, heh heh. i've dug 50-or-so large cents in the last year-and-a-half, some pushing a foot in depth, and have been fairly certain of what i was digging every time. this is the first that caught me off-guard. strange what iron and a different coil will do...

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,189
  • img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,081
  • img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 5,040
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5,034
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5,045
Upvote 4
OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

henry,

the "newer" house nearby was completed in 1815. dwayne

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.

I'm not exactly sure how I missed this post, but i'm glad i've had a chance to see the button and read thru the comments. You certainly have made a rare and special find, one that most of us will only daydream about. You have done the right thing by leaving it alone, could you imagine if you would have scrubbed the gilt off!. And your willingness to give the button to the property owners makes us, and our hobby look great. Fantastic find, enjoy the banner because its well deserved.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

An honor to read this post and learn about the banner button and the type of person who found it.
Congratulations on a well deserved find.

TnMountains

coolbeans

Apr 11, 2007
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites...dfx- D2- sunray..dx-1 whites...beach hunter id 300 garrett..ace..250 bullseye..II

banner for sure!

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Banner Find!!! Your other finds aren't to shabby either!!! WTG :thumbsup:

HH Joe

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't know what you found but sounds kind of good ::) Congrats on a rare find ,and making the BANNER :coffee2:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow. Who cares what it's worth, the history of something like that is unmatched. Congratulations, and kudos to you for what you've done for this hobby.
Steve

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratulations on the button and banner.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Great Find! Thanks for sharing.

clapping.gif

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi,
congrats. obviously you know this is listed in alberts record of american uniform buttons on page 394 as an r5. r5 buttons means that at the time of writing the book 6 to 10 were know. to give you an idea of value the 1913 v nickel with 6 know sold for $1,840,000.00 in 2008. bob@northeast metal detectors

M

michigan michael

wow! BANNER :thumbsup: Congrat!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Banner Bump!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Dwayne, you are da man! I search for one of these on every hunt, but I have come home empty-handed every time! I think it is time to update your avatar. :wink:

Kyle

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very nice bunch of finds there.

As a political collector, I really envy you the chance to find inaugural items for old George. Even in the shape of your item, it is still a great find. WTG :thumbsup:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats an awesome button. Sounds like you have had a good year, 50 large cents?!? I've got 1 if you count my old british penny, thats for a summer of detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions