My "keepers" for this month

W

whites6000inPa

My "keepers" for this month

I've been detecting the yards of privately owned homes in our little town since the beginning of this month, having started into this hobby again in Mid July...after a long hiatus (1993). I go in the evenings after supper for a couple hours...and usually one day per weeked.

I decided at the beginning of this month that the pickins were gettin slim...and that I needed to cast my fears and trepidations aside and ask for permission to hunt yards since the usual places were only giving up modern clad finds if anything. The following picture is the result of my efforts this month. I've found these in about 8 different yards. I've been denied permission exactly once, because the lady's grandson has a machine and she prefers to let him dig anything that's there....fair enough. I've not been turned down once otherwise. Not pictured are 2 V nickels in terrible shape....and about 5 rolls of wheat pennies.

The parks are just about cleaned out.....I now prefer to hunt private residences. I don't want to have to work too hard for what I find.

Wyatt

Attachments

• DUGCOINS.JPG
    DUGCOINS.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Re: My "keepers" for this month

Just do it......you may be surprised. Just try and talk to them as though it were somebody you knew. If you're comfortable with them, they're more apt to be comfortable with you. I think that's the key.

If you can't make eye contact and seem reluctant....you give off a bad vibe....they will see you as "shifty"..and you'll probably get shot down.

Thanks to all for the replies and encouragement. This is absolutely the greatest hobby. It's like that proverbial box of chocolates..."you never know what you're gonna get next".

Wyatt

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Wow!!!, That's alot of silver for a month, WTG!!!
Good luck with next one, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Mostly older folks around here, who aren't so anal about their lawns. It's an old town, and these are very small yards downtown. The one I'm working on now has given up 7 silver coins in 3 evening visits, and I haven't made it to the clothesline area yet. The whole yard is probably 60 feet by 75 feet....with a 30 by 30 foot house situated therein.

I have 4 days left in October. If I can score 3 more silver coins....I'll have one for each of the 31 days in October.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Yesterday I said...

I have 4 days left in October. If I can score 3 more silver coins....I'll have one for each of the 31 days in October.

Well.this morning I did it. I went to the Presbyterian church lot and found 5 silver roosevelt dimes...and lost one in the street on the way back to the car....can you believe that? I actually dropped 2 of them and was able to eyeball one of them....after about 5 minutes of looking. That's gonna bug me for a long time.
I usually stick the coins I want seperate from the clad in my wallet....in a little compartment. well 5 dimes is more than it can handle. I'll be re-assessing that component of my hunting. I need a better pouch.

Wyatt

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005

Whites 6000 in PA, Hey, those are some great finds!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you could give me some tips on the 6000. I have a 6000 di pro sl and have been having some luck lately. These machines are really workhorses. They may be old, but they can turn up the coinage. I will post some pics today of my finds w/ my 600 di pro sl...........Keep in touch, Thanks for sharing, Nascarfan

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500

Nice finds Wyatt......and they scrub up nice.
Lots of nice old folks around here, but I would say at least 45% are a bit sus. about people digging their yards......even when I explain that we will go 'halves' if I hit the Holy Grail.....
Cheers Paul

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

There are alot of different 6000DI models. Mine is the series 3 Professional ca 1987. It has "hot rock accept" and "hot rock reject" positions on the power switch. Most do not have that circuitry...at least not operated in that manner. It also has a discrimination control. It's been a great machine..and still continues to churn silver dimes up. If there's a way I can be of help....I'll certainly try.

I think the place I was at this morning that yielded the 5 silver dimes...must have been where a penny pitch booth was set up. I also found 26 pennies....5 of which were wheaties, including a 1926 and a 1928. The others were 42, 45, and 45-D. I also found 3 clad dimes and a clad quarter for my silver buying fund.

An entertaining morning....too bad about the one that got away though.

Wyatt

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

whites6000inPa said:
can you believe that? I actually dropped 2 of them and was able to eyeball one of them....after about 5 minutes of looking. That's gonna bug me for a long time.
Wyatt

I lost a 1924 Mercury dime a few weeks ago. I had it in my pocket and it must have rolled out when I sat down. I looked all over for it. It bugged me for several days. I know i could have bought one for about a dollar, but when you loose a "find", thats different.

I used to have an older 6000 D series2. They were good detectors.
Congrats on hitting your goal.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff!

HH

Lonewolfe

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

WOW, what a month. Excellent finds ya got there. Congrats.... :)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks to all for their replies. The one that got away got to bugging me..so I went and dug 3 more to replace it. I had never been to this place...and it's a large churh yard. The only silver there is roosevelt dimes apparently.....and they are all from one side of the yard. Must have been swingsets and stuff there in the 1960s 2 of the roosevelts I found today are 1964s.

Oh well.....It was a fun day for me. You know I'm going to be looking at the road every time I go to the post office now....looking for that escaped dime.

You're right....these dimes aren't even as cool as a 24 merc...but that ain't the point. We're supposed to find the stuff...not lose it.

Wyatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread