Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out woods hunting this after noon and started a new area on the side of a hill.
It wasn't long and I got a 75 reading on the DFX and I'm thinking silver.
I started digging and I see leather so I widen the hole to be carefull.
The leather was two inches down and the lowest point of the leather was six inches.
I pulled at the leather pouch and it came out and the coins slide out on the dirt
and that's when I seen two gold coins laying on top of each other.
Man I finaly got gold and wasn't sure what they were untill I got home right after I showed MPfish
My neighbor and detecting friend. He keep puting one in his pocket and I was saying don't rub them.
They both are 1914-s Saint-Gaudens,Twenty.Dollar gold. There is writing on the edge
e plu.ri.bus u.num. "Latin. One out of many. The motto of the U.S." and 13 stars.
Yes i'm very happy . It's my first and second gold coins ever. I have pounded that place many a day and a lot of days I came home with nothing.
I'll try to borrow mikes camera with macro setting to get better pic's since my camera is only for general picture takeing. I hope you all can experiance the finding of a gold coin or two.
rodgerdodger

Attachments

• my greatest day detecting 001.JPG
    my greatest day detecting 001.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 7,836
  • my greatest day detecting 002.JPG
    my greatest day detecting 002.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 7,777
  • woods-april 24, 005.JPG
    woods-april 24, 005.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 7,695
  • new pics 002.JPG
    new pics 002.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 7,411
  • new pics 003.JPG
    new pics 003.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 7,396
  • new pics 004.JPG
    new pics 004.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 7,373
  • new pics 005.JPG
    new pics 005.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 7,343
  • more pics 001.JPG
    more pics 001.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 7,315
  • more pics 002.JPG
    more pics 002.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 7,462
  • more pics 003.JPG
    more pics 003.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 7,254
  • more pics 004.JPG
    more pics 004.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 7,275
Upvote 3

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
dfxmatt said:
great finds........seems like vdi of 75 wouldn't be right though seems like it would be lower........maybe cause they were stuck together??
I know nothing about VDI,but could the reading 75 been the buckles being picked up?

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dfxmatt said:
great finds........seems like vdi of 75 wouldn't be right though seems like it would be lower........maybe cause they were stuck together??
Thanks dfxmatt. It was jumping 72 75 73 75 72. I'll check it later to see what I get for a reading. It's raining now.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
creeper71 said:
dfxmatt said:
I know nothing about VDI,but could the reading 75 been the buckles being picked up?
Thanks creeper71. The snaps were in the hole.The buckles were a foot away. I think they rotted off and being on the slope the rain and ice must have moved them before they started to settle. The sand moveing down hill during the rains had to have some effect on how deep they were.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a cool find of a life time. Banner all the way :thumbsup: Just wondering how could someone lose forty buck back in the day off them self or off a horse maybe :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Well Congrates

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
creeper71 said:
dfxmatt said:
The leather pouch was standing on edge in the hole so the coins were on edge. I have tested a friends $5.00 gold piece once to see what reading I would get and it was 51. I have checked 6 or more gold rings and got different readings.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dfxmatt said:
I took them outside and layed them both flat and got 83 to 85.
Then stood them on end the result were very different. Some were in the 70's but when I swang the coil from edge to edge of the coins it sounded like pulltabs and had a low vdi.
I always swing the coil in different derections over a target because the tone will change.
roger

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IAsoldier said:
Wow what a cool find of a life time. Banner all the way :thumbsup: Just wondering how could someone lose forty buck back in the day off them self or off a horse maybe :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Well Congrates
Thanks IAsoldier. I know if i had lost it i would be retracing my steps in a hurry.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, congrats, Rodger. I was so worked up about this that I told my wife about it and her eyes got as big as saucers and asked me why I can't find anything like that...You're the envy of everyone on TNet...and my wife :wink:

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
You have lived out a daydream many of us have had....congrats!
Dont ever recall a Double Eagle posted...much less two!

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
Well, congrats, Rodger. I was so worked up about this that I told my wife about it and her eyes got as big as saucers and asked me why I can't find anything like that...You're the envy of everyone on TNet...and my wife :wink:
Thanks Mr_Mojo_Risin and the wife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread