Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 7,111
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

That is nice, 1st one I have seen :o

Your year might turn out like mines going to :thumbsup: The best on record!!!

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon

Yep Incredible Find, Cant Wait To See This Bad Boy Up Top!! :thumbsup:
HH!!
Swingit

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Romeo, that is one awesome find you have there..... after all these years and the design is still great, you must have great soil on your side? If there are no clips etc on the back of this baby, you should be able to straighten this baby between to planks of wood quite safely. Just take it nice and slow and don't hit it with anything.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Bump for a better picture...very hard to photograph...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Ok, I'll bump the post but i might kick you. :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:

Romeo, I think that photograph is as good as your are going to get it, hope to see it up top soon. :thumbsup: There are ways of straightening that plate, you might ask around if you have already not done so.

Don

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
romeo-1 said:

Romeo, I think that photograph is as good as your are going to get it, hope to see it up top soon. :thumbsup: There are ways of straightening that plate, you might ask around if you have already not done so.

Don

I would love to have it straightened but I am just too paranoid that it will be broken...maybe after the initial high of finding it wears off I'll look into it. What I would really like is to clean it without affecting the patina...

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

and the crowd ROARS, wtg that is outstanding to say the least.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Romeo,
AMAZING buckle find! :icon_king: Never saw one of those before. Congrats to you.
BANNER!!!
-MM-

M

michigan michael

sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!! :o

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Romeo....That is one of the most amazing relics I have ever seen. I would have fell down dead . Congratulations man. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zeus, yesterday I found Spanish and French colonial silver and I can't even get excited about those two due to the belt plate...it's ruined me. LOL.

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

absolutely beautiful!! many congratulations!!

CWKEITH1

Dec 18, 2008

absolutely super great find keep it up keith

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats on finding the Holy Grail of metal detecting!

N

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

Wow awesome find romeo truly incredible congrats and continued good luck

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

A special find, congrats. :)

CenterHit

Sep 5, 2005
TN

Fantastic Find congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread