Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 7,111
Upvote 0

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate

Buttons.. there's a good idea! I didn't think of that. A quick search produced no results, but it is another avenue to explore. Thanks for the tip. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Nope... nothing round here begining with M apart from Milton Keynes which is where I'm from. It's a city now, but even as recently as 30 years ago it was just a tiny medieval village. My feeling is that it would have been too small to have its own militia. and wouldn't it be MKV? I could be wrong. My best guess at the moment is Middlesex volunteers, which is a county 50 miles south. The plumes and crown (which is the Prince of Wales royal crest) are found in its regimental insignia, but also in plenty of other regiments around the country too. Thanks for the offer of running it by your friend. I'm hitting a brick wall here.

Mark.

M

mikusek

A very nice treasure, hope there is a good possibility that it can be straightened.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate

Wormslayer said:
Buttons.. there's a good idea! I didn't think of that. A quick search produced no results, but it is another avenue to explore. Thanks for the tip. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Nope... nothing round here begining with M apart from Milton Keynes which is where I'm from. It's a city now, but even as recently as 30 years ago it was just a tiny medieval village. My feeling is that it would have been too small to have its own militia. and wouldn't it be MKV? I could be wrong. My best guess at the moment is Middlesex volunteers, which is a county 50 miles south. The plumes and crown (which is the Prince of Wales royal crest) are found in its regimental insignia, but also in plenty of other regiments around the country too. Thanks for the offer of running it by your friend. I'm hitting a brick wall here.

Mark.
:hello:

Hi Mark welcome to Treasure Net, I hope you stick around :icon_thumleft: I wondered if you had tried posting it on the UKFD for a ID.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/index.php

SS

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic Find!
Great work cleaning too :wink:
Congrats on another banner find!! Show us some more ;D

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wormslayer said:
I was scouring the internet trying to identify a cross belt plate that I found here in England, when I came across your belt plate. It's a beauty. It looks even older than mine. It oozes history, though I can't be sure of that because I have had no luck in identifying mine. I thought you might like to see it. Good luck with your future hunts, and to everyone at treasurenet.

Cheers,
Mark

Now that's a comment that accurately describes this find: "It oozes history....". Great quote! Awesome rescue! Well done!!! PB

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, but I wasn't a member yet when you found this romeo! :laughing7:

Fantastic find man! :hello2:

Dave

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...here's a blast from the past! Still my all time favorite find...until I find one that isn't so bendy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread