My First Barber Half!!! I got burned too! Bank of Montreal Half Penny

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Asked permission to hunt a old homestead Circa 1877. The owner stated that he had lived there for several decades and he and his family own 4,000 acres of farm land. Nice looking old place. He walked me around the house and the property to show me where the buildings were once at and the area of an old barn that burned to the ground a few years back. I went with my hunting partner Don and we started in the front yard. Soon we found a few wheats and some dreaded pull tabs.
We then moved on to the side yard where a small garden is located. I got a strong quarter signal but it warbled a bit and fell to a penny signal. No doubt time to dig. Cut the plug and flipped it over to see what looked like a Shell gas station token. Pulled it from the plug and soon found that it was too heavy for that. Looked closer and saw that it was fried from a fire but also saw the date of 1902. Closer inspection revealed a really burnt Barber Half. My first, and what a beautiful coin burned or not ;D.
Went on to the other side yard where I darn near fell asleep because the signals were few and far between. It was getting late in the hunt too. You know how a signal can wake you up from a trance? Well this one did just that. It popped good and strong out in the middle of this yard. Okay, dig the plug and see a green disc. Called Don over to witness the unveiling. I thought it was a Large Cent. Not to be though. It turned out to be a Bank of Montreal Half Penny Token from 1844. That deserved a bit of a happy dance :o. Pretty neat token. The day ended with a surprise token and some other decent coins and relics. Hope you like the pics. Goodluck out there my friends and be safe! jgas

Attachments

• 1902 Barber Half.JPG
    1902 Barber Half.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 852
  • Canada 12.JPG
    Canada 12.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 821
  • Canada 10.JPG
    Canada 10.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 840
  • Canada 8.JPG
    Canada 8.JPG