Find of a Lifetime for me!

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Good morning all,

I usually don't post my finds, as I have been going through a rough batch, don't get on the internet a lot, and feel my finds are not post worthy. :-\ I mean, the occasional merc or indian or even wheatie, but sometimes they get old. I mean, not to seem ungreatful, but I have started to focus more on quality than quantity. I have been trying to do my homework and find some spots that have some history to it. And hopefully they will pay off. And today it did!

Well, this particular spot is now just a field (located less than 1 mile from my home). And I wanted to get in before it was planted with crops. I have hunted it before but could never find the "debris field". You know the area where all the pottery, glass and iron is located.
Well, today, I discovered it. And it was about 200 yards further than what all the maps said. It was a home site build around the 1850's and was torn down in the 1940's. It had a couple barns and so forth like most farms in this area.

I will let the pictures do the talking but here is the low down on what I found. Four buckles or sashes and a couple nice ones to boot. The one in the picture on the lower left is dated 1871. Then I hit a crusty 1904 Indian and then a nice 1900 Indian (nice green patina). Then I walk a little bit and right on top of the ground is the 1901 Barber Dime. I couldn't believe it. Things were going well.

A few minutes later I dig what i think is a piece of lead. Flip it over and yell a few explicitives! I can read the U and then most of the S. I about crapped my pants!! I believe it is a US box plate. Or a partial box plate anyways. Now, you have to understand a couple things. First, I always carry my camera on me...but yep, you guess it...I forgot it today! :-[ Next, I am smack dab in the middle of Illinois. No Civil War relics are suppose to be here! I am still in shock. Though it has been beat over the years by plows and farm implements, I am still 100% shocked and in amazement. She looks beautiful to me!

Anyways, Thanks for looking and enjoy! And dig everything!

99Brown

Attachments

• DSCN6367.JPG
    DSCN6367.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,629
  • DSCN6364.JPG
    DSCN6364.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,608
  • DSCN6372.JPG
    DSCN6372.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,623
Upvote 0
OP
OP
99Brown

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Oh, what looks like a scratch in the middle of the plate is not a scratch. I didn't realize what I had and tried to pry it apart to look at it. Stupid me should have flipped it over first. Anyways, once i saw the U, I stopped. Still looks good to me though!

Thanks for looking!

99Brown

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Relics and Coinage. Box plate looks good considering its been in a field that uses fertilizer...Go back HH

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
very nice finds

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really happy for you. I would feel the same as you do about it. Nice finds all the way around. Good luck on more finds.

Burdie

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Nice finds 99Brown! I gotta tell ya though i live in Vermilion county Illinois and my hunting buddy found a US belt plat too out in a plowed field where there used to be an old homestead. I guess the boys went off to war and had to return someday and eventually there possesions are handed down to relatives. Thats what i think. Congrats on the great finds.
Coinman66

OP
OP
99Brown

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Thanks all!! I am still beside myself and have looked at the darn thing about 100 times today. Coinman, you are right! I think some soldier probably came back to central Illinois after the war and then it got lost. I want to do some more research and see if I can narrow it down some more.

Thanks again everyone!

99Brown

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what civil war vets come home a "belt buckle was a belt buckle " --they wore and used that old army issue gear --you bet -- and it wore out or broke off --got left behind -- so that just shows --you never really know what might show up at any given time. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread