Permission to Hunt the Grove!! First hunt and silver, indians and more!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Last fall an older gentleman told me about a picnic grove that had been the site for church picnics and revival meeting in the early days of Northern Michigan.
The grove was used from late 1800s up until the late 20's.
Made a few tries to reach the owner last fall, but got no answer, and no answering machine. Last week as I left on a fishing trip I scored a cell number!
After leaving a few messages, and trying not bug him too much, he called me back. I explained what I wanted to do. He said "feel free" but warned that over the winter much of the gove had been logged.

Saturday morning I woke to 40 degrees and rain! I decided I just couldn't wait, so I packed up the Quattro, with the rain cover on, and drove the 15 miles over to the grove. When I got there I saw that the loggers had left treetops all over the grove. It was going to be a little tougher than I had hoped!

Waited in the van for the rain to taper off a little. After about 20 minutes I decided to give it a go anyway.

Had the procoil on the Quattro, and a fresh set of rechargables inside. As I loaded up my diggers etc I realized I had left my pinpointer at home, but that wasn't going to stop me.

Within 5 minutes I got a solid nickel hit. Out came an undated buff from 6 inches! Good start! I wandered all over between the brush piles and tree tops looking the grove over, and swinging. After another 20 minutes or so I got another undated buff.

I settled on an area on a hillside not far from the road, and not burried in brush, where I had found quite a few iron signals. I slowed down and started working the hillside. Penny hits started coming. Some were only 4 or 5 inches down, while others were 8 to 10 inches. I had 4 or 5 pennies in the pouch within an hour.
I had no idea if they were wheaties or indians. There was so much mud on my gloves and the coins were coming out caked in crud.

Pinpointing with the procoil is one of the areas that I really need to work on. Recovering coins seemed to take forever. The holes were full of roots and I was trying to be very careful. I was wet, and at 40 degrees I was getting cold.

Finally I hit a barber dime! 1909, and in pretty good shape.

Decided to drive home, eat some lunch, get dry clothes on, see what I had found, and get my pinpointer!

Within an hour I was back out in the grove. The rain had tapered off. I had on warm clothes, had my pinpointer, and had changed to the 5" coil on the Quattro. I was ready.

I concentrated on the hillside where I had been finding coins. Within minutes I was hitting multiple penny type signals! I was putting coins in the pouch without even trying to see if they were indians or wheaties. Then I got a nice silver tone! Another barber dime! Within a couple of minutes I had a third!

Still finding pennies. And then another silver tone! This time it was a flattened silver thimble! Cool. ( McConnon's Vanilla Compound) and then a strange tone and up came a round rusty tin item about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inch diameter.

Since I was out of time I worked my way back to the van. What a day. First day in the Grove and I had:

3 Barber dimes 1899, 1906 and 1909
3 Indians 1892, 1896, and 1906
2 undated buffalo nickels
5 wheaties 1910, 1911, 1912, 1917 and 1920
1 silver thimble
The round disk turned out to be a Penny Bank! empty of course, and it started to fall apart when I rinsed it off, but cool!

I'm pretty sure I will find time to go back out to the grove again soon!
Thanks for reading this long winded post.
Mark

Attachments

• 4-09 buffs IHs & Barber Dimes from the Grove.jpg
    4-09 buffs IHs & Barber Dimes from the Grove.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,311
  • 4-09 buffs IHs & Barber Dimes from the Grove b.jpg
    4-09 buffs IHs & Barber Dimes from the Grove b.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 4-09 silver thimble from the grove.jpg
    4-09 silver thimble from the grove.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • penny bank from grove.jpg
    penny bank from grove.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 4-09 wheaties from the grove.jpg
    4-09 wheaties from the grove.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,289
Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good indeed! Sweet silvers.

B

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds! im hoping to dig a barber dime this season! i would be back at that spot again for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup: congrats on some sweet coins! I think i see a date of 1917 on the 1 buff but could just be my eyes playin tricks on me. well best of luck and HH

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing. My goal is to pull any ole indian cent or barber dime. And a Large cent would be nice. These are awesome!!

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great bunch of coins!!! Now get back to the grove and pick it clean!!!! :icon_pirat:

HH Joe

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Very nice, I'd trade mt hundred dollar day to find some old stuff!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Mark, what a day! Good luck on the rest of the grove.
Will they be clearing the tops or just leaving them there?

HH

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Do you need some help? :)
Get all you can from that site! Congrats!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found yourself a great place to hunt with lots of potential! Nice bunch of coins for the first trip and non ideal hunting conditions! :thumbsup:

Steve

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coltdavis said:
I think i see a date of 1917 on the 1 buff but could just be my eyes playin tricks on me.

I agree with that, sure looks like a 1917 date on there to me.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Wow, Mark! You're on fire!! Congrats on those great coins!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Those Barbers look real nice!

I know where I'd be spending the rest of my time for a while if I were you! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread