First goal of this year out of the way!!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
One of my aims this year in metal detecting was to find my first Barber quarter, and today was the day!!

Came home today about 3pm and decided to hit the old jail site where I had found an IH my first time out with the Safari. Detected for about 40 minutes before it was time to head out. I almost threw my detector into the Jeep when I decided that I was going to give an area near my vehicle just one quick pass. Glad I did! Got about six feet away and snagged a 1907 Barber quarter. Did the happy dance (well, not visibly anyway) and gave the Lord a big "thanks!"

The coin came in at +37/+38 on the Safari at about six inches deep, and it was somewhat of a choppy signal. Unfortunately my lazy digging finally caught up with me, and I scratched the back. :-\

Oh well, I don't really plan on selling it anyway. Next on my goal list is a seated dime. Gonna have to start doing some research to get one of these, I think.

HH,

Ray

Attachments

• barber1.jpg
    barber1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 632
  • barber2.jpg
    barber2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 633
  • barber3.jpg
    barber3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Yep thats a keeper... Congrats...jgas

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that was quick! I hope you complete the rest of your goals this year with equally as fast. Keep it up! J

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks folks! I was beginning to wonder if I'd actually ever find one of these coins!

artz...I'd love to strike big silver. I've only done it once with a 1921 Morgan and that was heart-stopping enough, lol.

Ray

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, my first one was a 1907 also. Be more careful next time. Congratulations.

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Ray...glad for you! Keep em coming. Lots of history around there so there is more!

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks again for the comments, everyone!

Deno, yes I will definitely be more careful. That's the last silver coin I ever wish to scratch.

Moonshadow, homesteads are something I have to start looking into myself. I am sure there are plenty up here in Washington, but how to go about researching them is what I have to learn.

Ray

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
Ray, way to go. Go to the public library. They should have some old
maps that you can use to find old homesteads. tood luck, Jimbob

brewhaha

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2009
Woodinville Washington
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ray in WA said:
Thanks folks! I was beginning to wonder if I'd actually ever find one of these coins!

artz...I'd love to strike big silver. I've only done it once with a 1921 Morgan and that was heart-stopping enough, lol.

Ray

Nice find! I'll bet a silver dollar is a HARD coin to lose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread