KILLER Spanish Silver and some Beautiful Large Cents!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I was supposed to dig out a privy behind an 1800s schoolhouse today with HB and Diggergirl, but after probing around in the woods for a few hours this morning, we realized it would be a tougher job than expected. I have one photo from the 1920's of the abandoned schoolhouse showing the privy, and I will have to study it Very closely before we return.

So naturally, after getting covered in ticks :tard: we decided to change our direction and head out to the site that Rodeo Recon and I hunted on Saturday. :) We'd hoped to catch the owner at home, to ask about digging out the privy we found in their corn stubble field...but they were not at home. Since we have standing permission until the planting with them, we walked out in the field to at least do a bit of swinging. (The privy will have to wait. I want to make sure it will be o.k. with the owners for us to dig it out.)

As it turns out, I'm very pleased with the way the day ended up. The iron patch at the site we hunted on Saturday was huge, and I knew that there would be some good keepers left to find today.

Within a short time, some flat buttons started coming up. Then HB shouted "I think this is a silver coin!" When I got there and took a listen to the signal, it was indeed a coin ringing through my 1266-X. I was already excited, since I knew that silvers which are hiding in patches of flat buttons are seldom Barber dimes. :o

When he opened up the hole, he could see a silver edge peeking out of a clod. I ran for the camera, and when I came back, I realized that the edge of the coin was not reeded. :o Here's what I saw:

1.jpg

At that point I realized that the coin was likely a spanish silver--and with the edge design still visible I just knew it had to be a beautiful coin in terms of condition. HB carefully broke open the clod and retrieved the coin from its long rest:

2.jpg

Then we poured some water over it (no rubbing--just water to carry the dirt away). Already the coin looked like a beauty--and I could see the date of 1805 shining in the sunlight:

3.jpg

3a.jpg

Well, that certainly gave us some Fever! We got to swinging!

HB got a pocket watch winder and a few toe taps. Diggergirl got a harmonica reed piece and a few more buttons. I got a gilded brass wedding band. Then HB recovered a Beautiful harness boss.(The second one from this field. 8)) I got a nice signal in the middle of a corn row. Kicking the stubble aside, I kept repeating my mantra "Don't be iron. Don't be iron!" Well... it wasn't iron. ;D

4.jpg

5.jpg

It was a beautiful 1830 Large Cent--Easily the BEST condition Matron Head I have ever found. :thumbsup: After cleaning I can see the denticles around the rim, the curls in the hair, the berries on the wreath, you name it. Incredible.

Well...not to be outdone, HB made another score at the end of the hunt--he flopped open a plug less than a foot away from a dig hole from Saturday (Rodeo or I must've missed that sucker by mere inches). Here's what he saw... (I love the impression of the coin in the clod. :) )

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Then the heat started to get to us and our water jug got dangerously low, so we hit the road. Here are a few photos of our finds before we cleaned everything:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Photos of the Cleaned finds appear in the first reply below: :o

Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The "King of old homesites" striles again. Nice finds and real nice LC and Spanish Silver. In 14 years of relic hunting, I have only found 2 Reales and a "piece of 8" while hunting CW relics. Congrats BB and HH.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant beat a hunt like that, thats a good looking spanish silver, and some nice large cents congrats on another great hunt!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have said many times, still on my wish list. One day when I'm old and grey, I might strike it off. Nice silver :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stillgottawork said:
Nice finds in the field................ :thumbsup:

I have a farmer that lets me on his land anytime (before planting) all I found so far is a lot of iron and a few clad coins......but is over 100acres

I got a lot of work ahead of me......happy hunting.... :)

100 acres is too much to hunt--unless you plan on doing a lot of hunting and not much finding.

You should hone in on target areas where early homesteads could have sat, and hunt in the areas that would've seen foot traffic many years ago--around fords in a creek, around springs, parallel the river or creek just above the flood plain looking for broken pottery, glass, and iron patches, hunting the intersection of any and all old road beds you find.

It is far better to play it smart than to rely solely on luck and persistence.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Privy..what privy? :D I'da sure forgot all about the privy digging with finds like that coming up! Just WOW, ya'll!! Wonderful finds!!!

Many congrats!!

Nana :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
stillgottawork said:

I have a farmer that lets me on his land anytime (before planting) all I found so far is a lot of iron and a few clad coins......but is over 100acres

100 acres is too much to hunt--unless you plan on doing a lot of hunting and not much finding.

You should hone in on target areas where early homesteads could have sat, and hunt in the areas that would've seen foot traffic many years ago--around fords in a creek, around springs, parallel the river or creek just above the flood plain looking for broken pottery, glass, and iron patches, hunting the intersection of any and all old road beds you find.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I would just hunt the 100 acres but its different over here. I just have luck & persistence on my side :thumbsup: ....oh yeah & history :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:
stillgottawork said:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I would just hunt the 100 acres but its different over here. I just have luck & persistence on my side :thumbsup: ....oh yeah & history :icon_jokercolor:

I might be tempted to hunt the oldest of fields in the east of our country here. But with our brief history here, most of the time when you wander out into a field with a detector in all-metal mode, you won't hear even a nail. You have to find sites. And they are spread apart. Sometimes we find several in one larger parcel of land, but most times there is only one site.

-Buckles

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:
stillgottawork said:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I might be tempted to hunt the oldest of fields in the east of our country here. But with our brief history here, most of the time when you wander out into a field with a detector in all-metal mode, you won't hear even a nail. You have to find sites. And they are spread apart. Sometimes we find several in one larger parcel of land, but most times there is only one site.

-Buckles

I know.

Our worst fields at least have the odd Georgian coin, musket ball, & nails.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Some nice digs again, and who knows what the privy might have, something to look forward to perhaps later this year. The 1830 Large Cent appears to be a common variety Newcomb 1, however, I was hoping it was a Newcomb 10, which is closer to rare status, but I will stick with the N.1 as the attribution, but if you get a chance try googling the varieties and compare yourself.

Don

Don, I took a look at the varieties, and it is a Newcomb 1. Too bad it isn't the N-10--but to be honest, I'm thrilled. Usually the LC's of this variety come up with lots of wear in my area.

Best Wishes to you--and Thank You for your reply. :)

-Buckles

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find(s) BB. A big CONGRATS to you! Hogge :thumbsup:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way it is supposed to be. That's a nice hunt. Although I have yet to dig any Spanish silver, it
is not that uncommon around here.

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Congrats to the IB on another great hunt!! BB that 1830 LC is a real beauty!!
Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread