KILLER Spanish Silver and some Beautiful Large Cents!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I was supposed to dig out a privy behind an 1800s schoolhouse today with HB and Diggergirl, but after probing around in the woods for a few hours this morning, we realized it would be a tougher job than expected. I have one photo from the 1920's of the abandoned schoolhouse showing the privy, and I will have to study it Very closely before we return.

So naturally, after getting covered in ticks :tard: we decided to change our direction and head out to the site that Rodeo Recon and I hunted on Saturday. :) We'd hoped to catch the owner at home, to ask about digging out the privy we found in their corn stubble field...but they were not at home. Since we have standing permission until the planting with them, we walked out in the field to at least do a bit of swinging. (The privy will have to wait. I want to make sure it will be o.k. with the owners for us to dig it out.)

As it turns out, I'm very pleased with the way the day ended up. The iron patch at the site we hunted on Saturday was huge, and I knew that there would be some good keepers left to find today.

Within a short time, some flat buttons started coming up. Then HB shouted "I think this is a silver coin!" When I got there and took a listen to the signal, it was indeed a coin ringing through my 1266-X. I was already excited, since I knew that silvers which are hiding in patches of flat buttons are seldom Barber dimes. :o

When he opened up the hole, he could see a silver edge peeking out of a clod. I ran for the camera, and when I came back, I realized that the edge of the coin was not reeded. :o Here's what I saw:

1.jpg

At that point I realized that the coin was likely a spanish silver--and with the edge design still visible I just knew it had to be a beautiful coin in terms of condition. HB carefully broke open the clod and retrieved the coin from its long rest:

2.jpg

Then we poured some water over it (no rubbing--just water to carry the dirt away). Already the coin looked like a beauty--and I could see the date of 1805 shining in the sunlight:

3.jpg

3a.jpg

Well, that certainly gave us some Fever! We got to swinging!

HB got a pocket watch winder and a few toe taps. Diggergirl got a harmonica reed piece and a few more buttons. I got a gilded brass wedding band. Then HB recovered a Beautiful harness boss.(The second one from this field. 8)) I got a nice signal in the middle of a corn row. Kicking the stubble aside, I kept repeating my mantra "Don't be iron. Don't be iron!" Well... it wasn't iron. ;D

4.jpg

5.jpg

It was a beautiful 1830 Large Cent--Easily the BEST condition Matron Head I have ever found. :thumbsup: After cleaning I can see the denticles around the rim, the curls in the hair, the berries on the wreath, you name it. Incredible.

Well...not to be outdone, HB made another score at the end of the hunt--he flopped open a plug less than a foot away from a dig hole from Saturday (Rodeo or I must've missed that sucker by mere inches). Here's what he saw... (I love the impression of the coin in the clod. :) )

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Then the heat started to get to us and our water jug got dangerously low, so we hit the road. Here are a few photos of our finds before we cleaned everything:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Photos of the Cleaned finds appear in the first reply below: :o

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IRON Brigade: KILLER Spanish Silver and my Finest Matron Head LC!

Here are the finds, after cleaning:

A.jpg

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

B.jpg

LC1.jpg

LC2.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Congratulations to HB and Diggergirl. A pleasure to hunt with you both today. :)

Best Wishes and HH,

Buckleboy

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Awesome finds!! I've never been to the east side of this country before, but if I ever do go you'd better believe my metal detector is coming with me! Congrats on some beautiful coins.

Ray

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray in WA said:
Awesome finds!! I've never been to the east side of this country before, but if I ever do go you'd better believe my metal detector is coming with me! Congrats on some beautiful coins.

Ray

Kentucky isn't quite "the East." After digging in Kentucky for a good many years now, I think spanish silver in this state is Much more difficult to find than finding it in the Northeast.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Way to go you guys!

Gives us fellow Kentuckians hope for finding Spanish Silver! I know it's here!!!

Congrats! Beautiful finds! :thumbsup:

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some awesome finds guys! Beautiful LC BB and sweet silver HB :thumbsup: :thumbsup: congrats again! good luck on that privy if u get permission :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up. best of luck and HH

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds in the field................ :thumbsup:

I have a farmer that lets me on his land anytime (before planting) all I found so far is a lot of iron and a few clad coins......but is over 100acres

I got a lot of work ahead of me......happy hunting.... :)

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Congrats on all the great finds!!
Can't wait to see what you come up with next from this site.
HH

John

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say some of that heat you was feeling was coming off of HB,he has been on Fire lately :thumbsup:. Very nice finds and Awesome to see that Spanish Silver come from our neck of the woods.

can't wait to see the great items from the privys,once your able to dig. :wink:

Nova Treasure

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Beautiful finds!!!
Congratulations to all of you!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Son of a gun!!! :o The IB is on a roll. Those coins are fantastic guys. :thumbsup: I love seeing pictures like that with the coins still stuck in the dirt. Great shots.
Very nice digs for the whole group. Congrats. :thumbsup:
Ya gotta love those ticks. :'(
-MM-

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Finding Spanish silver in Ky is like finding a New Jersey Copper where I live. Few and far between but worth the wait. Tell H.B. that I said "Great Job" and its in great shape to boot. Nice large cents also. Congratulations to the Iron Brigade. :icon_king:
Chris

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual BB, the Iron Brigade does it again, Amazing finds, also Congrats to HB and DG!!!!

HH Joe

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Great hunt, beautiful coins and a good story. I can't wait to see what comes out of the privy. Maybe there's more than one privy. Looks like those people lived there a long time.

What is the rectangle brass item in the first cleaned pic? Looks like it's wedge shaped. Maybe the wedge that held a barrel on a gun?

Randy

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice digs again, and who knows what the privy might have, something to look forward to perhaps later this year. The 1830 Large Cent appears to be a common variety Newcomb 1, however, I was hoping it was a Newcomb 10, which is closer to rare status, but I will stick with the N.1 as the attribution, but if you get a chance try googling the varieties and compare yourself.

Don

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
I know what to expect out of the next trip up.
Awesome finds HB!
Newt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread