A cruel, cruel joke :-)

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(on me)

Out putzing around in the park this morning, having a quite nice day, a titanium wedding band, gold plate ear ring and then I popped this out of the hole.

1903-S Barber.

Just makes you want to cry...check out the book prices on it, you'll see what I mean...

Found a few other oldies too, old jeff's, including a '43 silver war nickel and 5 wheats. Wonder what other treasures are hiding in my little park?

Attachments

• ouch1.jpg
    ouch1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,299
  • ouch2.jpg
    ouch2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,313
Upvote 0

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
diamondjim,

Sorry, I don't have the book price available. What is it? No matter, the coin is great, and it is a great find. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the silver!

HH,

Dr. Ace

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mintage 613,000. one source I saw had it at $85 in G-4, ebay prices more like $35 to $50....too bad there isn't a grade for "lawn mower strikes"...

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Still a key-date coin. Condition is pretty bad, which sucks, but definitely still an awesome find! :thumbsup:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, the one damaged barber you find ends up being the key date. A damaged key date coin is still better than an undamaged non-key date coin. Congrats on the goodies from the day and good luck with the park in the next hunt. :thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Still a GREAT Find! :thumbsup:

I suspect a collector would give close to bottom/middle dollar damage and all.

I am wondering just how much careful, judicious "repairing" could be done on this coin without making it worse? Serious question...any opinions? (I'm not a serious collector)

HH Joe

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
creeper71 said:
would this still grade at a ag -3? if so that books at 50.00 in my feb 09 coins values mag...

It would probably grade as g-4/Bent or damaged.

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-) It's kind of a funny story already. I've dug plenty of average date ones that came out of the ground just fine, but nooooo, not the rare one :-)

I could probably off load this one to a collector for $15 or $20, since I don't actually collect coins myself...I just like digging them out of the ground...go figure. Anyways, this one proves my point...You are never going to find a rare one in the coin shop the dealer "missed," but every hole you dig is a chance at truely unsearched coinage, money spent (and lost) when it was JUST money. I'll probably keep this one for awhile at least.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diamondjim said:
:-) It's kind of a funny story already. I've dug plenty of average date ones that came out of the ground just fine, but nooooo, not the rare one :-)

I could probably off load this one to a collector for $15 or $20, since I don't actually collect coins myself...I just like digging them out of the ground...go figure. Anyways, this one proves my point...You are never going to find a rare one in the coin shop the dealer "missed," but every hole you dig is a chance at truely unsearched coinage, money spent (and lost) when it was JUST money. I'll probably keep this one for awhile at least.
I don't know that sound really low price for what you have..... Maybe you should put a post in the coin forum on Tnet (homepage scroll to the middle) see what they have to say..

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
awesome find sorry about the damage, still nice :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Now that is a shame,But however you found a key date :thumbsup:
Could have been worst,It could have had a hole threw it also.
Congrats on a good day.

fortbball9

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a great find....

On a brighter side ;D ;D ;D good thing it wasn't a 1895O dime.... ;D ;D ;D