Exciting Find!!!!!!!!!! Token Listed Extremely RARE!!!!

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi All:
The past month has been exciting for all the great finds I have seen on the site, always wishin to find a Double eagle,let alone two or find 5 plus pounds of silver. Now with that said I guess that all that glitters is not what we may find. I had some spare time and went back to a site I have worked and worked this past 8 weeks with the E-Trac,I have been finding lots there and enjoyed it very much. It yielded up a listed Rare token on Monday. Now when I dug this it was an "iffy" signal,one direction read 12-46 the other 21-44 on the fe/con scales. Switching around till it stayed and locked it gave me an impression to be silver. at about 9" I pulled a nail out,dropped the probe back in and it read loud,thinking another bent nail I pulled a little more dirt and another nail with the coin came out. Being very dark I thought it to be a large cent at first but carefully removing dirt I saw the horseshoe and wondered what it was. I dropped it in the bag and continued detecting. When I got home I rinsed it and saw it was a token from1904 and dropped it in the olive oil to soak some. Well today I got it out and the dirt and grunge was loose,carefully dabbing it off I see I had an neat item. The flollowing description is what it is:
1904 U.S. Express Co. 50th Anniversary-HK 735 (NGS #) The U.S. Express Comapny acquired the old Overland Stagecoach Co. and was the leading passenger and freight-hauler in the West until the Railroads came along. In 1913 the U.S. enacted the Parcel Post law which enabled the U.S. mail system to carry small packages as ordinary mail which was a serious blow to profitability. US Express ceased operation in 1914. NGS lists as Extremely Rare. I have calls to local dealers looking for info on this coin and it is in great shape,has a nail stain on the reverse. On the reverse it says In Commemoration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the founding of the United States Express Co. 1854-1904. These coins fall under the classification of So-Called Dollars. Beyond this I can not find valuation but it sure is neat.
Now the following are pics of it and the other items from the past 8 weeks of hunting with the E-Trac in two locations that it seems most if not all have given up on hunting. Enjoy I sure have,good luck to all also. Also the dimes, one Barber,one Seated,one Merc,one silver Rosie and another half dime were a Grand Slam and a bunt,all on May 1. The SlQ is a real nice one too. Take care :thumbsup: :coffee2:Hardrock

Attachments

• finds e trac 005.jpg
    finds e trac 005.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 996
  • finds e trac 006.jpg
    finds e trac 006.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • finds e trac 001.jpg
    finds e trac 001.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 990
  • finds e trac 012.jpg
    finds e trac 012.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 983
  • finds e trac 002.jpg
    finds e trac 002.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 960
  • finds e trac 008.jpg
    finds e trac 008.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 833
  • finds e trac 010.jpg
    finds e trac 010.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 811
Upvote 0

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Very nice congrats!

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
You my friend are a digger and that token is absolutely a beautiful find. I hope your memory of digging that hole never fades away.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Impressive digs right there. Nice token. I love those type of things. They are sometimes better than coins. Congrats. :thumbsup: jgas

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Very nice collection of goods there!!!,,, great token also ,, sounds like you done your research,,, what part of il.? I am from souteastern,, around mt. vernon,,,thanks for sharin your finds ,,, :thumbsup:

arthur

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Awesome find....

I really love that first desk pic with all the finds...... ;D

Happy Hunting,

Dugholes

OP
OP
Hardrock

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
HI all : Thanks for the replys VALUATION on this token runs from 125.00 to 200.00 on condition.With the help from Brenda at Ace Coins in Moline,Ill. She checked it out and it turns out that it is still listed as extremely rare. She had auction listings on it and said it was a nice find for sure. Take care and happy hunting. :icon_study:Hardrock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread