Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Once again having no choice but to flee Denver and its lack of detecting sites, I again chose to visit a nearby ghost town. I’ve been to this site twice before, once earlier this spring where I dug a nice 17th and Curtis, Denver token, and just recently when I dug a sweet 1869 Seated Dime. Also shown is a front of a GAR coat button, the back unfortunately missing. The dime has plenty of surface scratches, but being used to the fire etched round blobs of silver I’m used to digging, I’m more than happy with this find. This time I went up to the site with another human, and we proceeded to scan the area carefully. The site is literally covered with shards of broken glass, old turn of the century cans, and sheets of tin, so hunting must be done very meticulously. After several frustrating hours, I managed to pull a hotel baggage key check, with no visible signs of lettering on it. Patented by Arthur Stafford of Brooklyn, New York, it has a patent date of Dec. 31, 1867. Designed to prevent hotel guests from running off with the hotel keys, it is encircled with saw toothed edges, creating a bizarre sun burst pattern. Until I got home and cleaned it, my favorite find was a large human tooth, with a gaping cavity in the center. It will be cleaned, drilled, and proudly worn around my neck in the near future. While bending down to retrieve another find, I suddenly saw out of the corner of my eye a fast moving blur of color. Quickly jumping out of the way, I spotted a large black item speedily approaching. After careful contemplation, I decided to not dispatch it with my Lesche, but photograph for later identification. Any help would be appreciated on its identity. When I arrived home and started cleaning the hotel check, I could faintly make out the words, “Teller House, No. 28” This could be a very good find. The Teller was built in 1872, and has a famous history in Central City. President Grant once stayed there and the citizens of Central City decided to place large silver bars in front of the entrance to impress him with the immense mining going on in their town. No tokens, no silver, but a unique piece of Colorado history.

Attachments

• Dscf00081.jpg
    Dscf00081.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 773
  • 1869 Seated Dime.jpg
    1869 Seated Dime.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 774
  • GAR Button.jpg
    GAR Button.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 784
  • Teller House.jpg
    Teller House.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 776
  • Tooth.jpg
    Tooth.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 796
  • Silence of the lambs.jpg
    Silence of the lambs.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 783
  • Buggy#20.jpg
    Buggy#20.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 773
Upvote 0

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Re: The Tooth? You Can't Handle The Tooth!

Why would you wear someones tooth around your neck?

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mickk said:
Why would you wear someones tooth around your neck?
Part of a Gris Gris bag, mainly to protect me from squirrels.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really like that Teller House key tag!

The seated dime ain't too shabby either!

taybai

May 3, 2009

Your critter looks like it could be the sort of catterpillar that will evolve into a Swallowtail butterfly.

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Likely Guy said:
I like the G.A.R. button. Did they ever have an encampment at Central City or was it a local's item?

Nice tooth by the way.

This I don't know, will research. Lot of Union boys seeking silver, that's for sure. Can't decide if I'm gonna fill the cavity. 8)

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

curbdiggercarl57 said:
Once again having no choice but to flee Denver and its lack of detecting sites, I again chose to visit a nearby ghost town. I’ve been to this site twice before, once earlier this spring where I dug a nice 17th and Curtis, Denver token, and just recently when I dug a sweet 1869 Seated Dime. Also shown is a front of a GAR coat button, the back unfortunately missing. The dime has plenty of surface scratches, but being used to the fire etched round blobs of silver I’m used to digging, I’m more than happy with this find. This time I went up to the site with another human, and we proceeded to scan the area carefully. The site is literally covered with shards of broken glass, old turn of the century cans, and sheets of tin, so hunting must be done very meticulously. After several frustrating hours, I managed to pull a hotel baggage key check, with no visible signs of lettering on it. Patented by Arthur Stafford of Brooklyn, New York, it has a patent date of Dec. 31, 1867. Designed to prevent hotel guests from running off with the hotel keys, it is encircled with saw toothed edges, creating a bizarre sun burst pattern. Until I got home and cleaned it, my favorite find was a large human tooth, with a gaping cavity in the center. It will be cleaned, drilled, and proudly worn around my neck in the near future. While bending down to retrieve another find, I suddenly saw out of the corner of my eye a fast moving blur of color. Quickly jumping out of the way, I spotted a large black item speedily approaching. After careful contemplation, I decided to not dispatch it with my Lesche, but photograph for later identification. Any help would be appreciated on its identity. When I arrived home and started cleaning the hotel check, I could faintly make out the words, “Teller House, No. 28” This could be a very good find. The Teller was built in 1872, and has a famous history in Central City. President Grant once stayed there and the citizens of Central City decided to place large silver bars in front of the entrance to impress him with the immense mining going on in their town. No tokens, no silver, but a unique piece of Colorado history.

Cool! I dug a big old molar last month! :) The other finds are great too!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds, I like the dime.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Great hunt! love the button. congrats.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Nice and weird find? I'll be living in Colorado by June so I'll be wanting to hit and learn the area! :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice looking area. Love the seated dime....Matt

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome tooth! You should go back and look around...maybe the rest of the skull is there...you could make a cool holder to put your keys in! ;D

Of course....there's no discounting the need to keep the squirrels at bay....

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device

Love the dime! Too bad the tooth wasn't gold! :icon_scratch: I envy your hunting territory out there! Beautiful country! :thumbsup: Nice ghost town finds! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread