Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 holed Korean coins, 1 Chinese, and 1 1800's era Japanese ++++

Hello to all who are reading my posts. I am from Oregon, but own a business in S. Korea, teaching English to Korean. (Used to hate English, and English teachers >:(but now I are one!! :icon_scratch:)
This last Friday was Parent's Day in S. Korea. Not an official holiday, so had to wait until yesterday (Saturday) to visit Mom-in-law. Saw her, had lunch with the family at a beautiful restaurant high up in a mountain named ChilGap Mountain.
OK. Family time over with, so I ask the boss if I can do a little detecting before we head home. "OK," sounded ok to me.
Stayed within 10 minutes of the house, and went to a site that my son and I had begun to work when he was stationed here last year. We had had moderately successful luck, but I did not really want to go back.....too small a site. (WRONG< WRONG< WRONG. When will I ever learn.)
Began uncovering the site, pulling the rocks out of the way, and found one of the Korean coins deep in the dirt. (1740's, app.) So, I better dig into the dirt
a little further. Usually don't.
Hit something with my digger, but didn't sound exactly like a rock. So, carefully dug away the dirt. And, in the hole, staring up at me, was the bottom of a vase turned upside down. Was it the whole vase, or just a piece or two?
Another 15 minutes carefully working around the sides of the vase, and a vase, about 10 inches tall and 14 inches around came up. And, in two places, beautiful blue coloring added. Vase is app. 300 + years old, and other than 2 rim chips, complete. Beautiful beyond words.
continued to hunt, and found 5 more coins, 3 Korean, 1 Chinese, 1 Japanese. But also found 2 more smaller saucer-size pieces of pottery, one 100% complete, the other 95% complete.
I am closer to getting pictures into my posts.....but didn't take the camera with me that hunt. If you are interested in seeing the pics of the vases - in my opinion, definately worthwhile - hit the "Notify me...." block, and I will add them to this post. Will also have some pics of the coins, as soon as I get them cleaned up.
Thanks for reading/looking/If any of you are soldiers, stationed in, or going to be stationed in S. Korea, get in touch. I'll show you the results of my finds, and tell you how I have been doing it.....and take you into the hills.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4 holed Korean coins, 1 Chinese, and 1 1800's era Japanese ++++

Likely Guy said:
Hey Hikeinmts,

No luck posting photos yet? Looking forward to it, and I enjoy your posts. Keep it up!
Thanks Likely Guy.....I know what it is to read a story and say WHERE ARE THE PICS? So, I enjoy your positive comments. I hope to have the problem
solved, and for me to know how to post pics with stories no later than the end of this coming week. I'm anxious, too, as I want to hear comments from this
group of great THers on the finds we are experiencing here in S. Korea.
Thanks again. :icon_study: (I'm studying.)

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

I was stationed in Korea many moons ago, a little place called Pong Il Chong, by Moonson, I have a good friend that lives there.

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

STH69 said:
I was stationed in Korea many moons ago, a little place called Pong Il Chong, by Moonson, I have a good friend that lives there.
[/quoteHi STH69. I know PongIlChong....and, of course, MoonSon. Now MoonSan is classified as a city....has a 4-lane interstate size highway running through it.
I was stationed in Cp. Casey 1974,77,79. Did some work out in the Western Corridor. Now living in the middle of S. Korea, about 1 1/2 hours southof Seoul.
I guess you've been seeing in the news: all the U.S. soldiers in Seoul and north of Seoul are moving down into Cp. Humphreys, or Osan AFB. So, there are B I G
works going on at Cp. Humphreys. When were you here? I now an retired, and my wife and I own and operate a small English school in PyeongTaek. And, spare time, I am out in the hills, hunting for old coins and pottery and whatever the Koreans lost. ::)
If you ever want to get back this way to see how things are, let me know......you've got a place to stay, and a hunting partner for as long as you are here.
Best to you and your family. God bless. Bill aka hikeinmts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread