Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 holed Korean coins, 1 Chinese, and 1 1800's era Japanese ++++

Hello to all who are reading my posts. I am from Oregon, but own a business in S. Korea, teaching English to Korean. (Used to hate English, and English teachers >:(but now I are one!! :icon_scratch:)
This last Friday was Parent's Day in S. Korea. Not an official holiday, so had to wait until yesterday (Saturday) to visit Mom-in-law. Saw her, had lunch with the family at a beautiful restaurant high up in a mountain named ChilGap Mountain.
OK. Family time over with, so I ask the boss if I can do a little detecting before we head home. "OK," sounded ok to me.
Stayed within 10 minutes of the house, and went to a site that my son and I had begun to work when he was stationed here last year. We had had moderately successful luck, but I did not really want to go back.....too small a site. (WRONG< WRONG< WRONG. When will I ever learn.)
Began uncovering the site, pulling the rocks out of the way, and found one of the Korean coins deep in the dirt. (1740's, app.) So, I better dig into the dirt
a little further. Usually don't.
Hit something with my digger, but didn't sound exactly like a rock. So, carefully dug away the dirt. And, in the hole, staring up at me, was the bottom of a vase turned upside down. Was it the whole vase, or just a piece or two?
Another 15 minutes carefully working around the sides of the vase, and a vase, about 10 inches tall and 14 inches around came up. And, in two places, beautiful blue coloring added. Vase is app. 300 + years old, and other than 2 rim chips, complete. Beautiful beyond words.
continued to hunt, and found 5 more coins, 3 Korean, 1 Chinese, 1 Japanese. But also found 2 more smaller saucer-size pieces of pottery, one 100% complete, the other 95% complete.
I am closer to getting pictures into my posts.....but didn't take the camera with me that hunt. If you are interested in seeing the pics of the vases - in my opinion, definately worthwhile - hit the "Notify me...." block, and I will add them to this post. Will also have some pics of the coins, as soon as I get them cleaned up.
Thanks for reading/looking/If any of you are soldiers, stationed in, or going to be stationed in S. Korea, get in touch. I'll show you the results of my finds, and tell you how I have been doing it.....and take you into the hills.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4 holed Korean coins, 1 Chinese, and 1 1800's era Japanese ++++

Likely Guy said:
Hey Hikeinmts,

No luck posting photos yet? Looking forward to it, and I enjoy your posts. Keep it up!
Thanks Likely Guy.....I know what it is to read a story and say WHERE ARE THE PICS? So, I enjoy your positive comments. I hope to have the problem
solved, and for me to know how to post pics with stories no later than the end of this coming week. I'm anxious, too, as I want to hear comments from this
group of great THers on the finds we are experiencing here in S. Korea.
Thanks again. :icon_study: (I'm studying.)

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

I was stationed in Korea many moons ago, a little place called Pong Il Chong, by Moonson, I have a good friend that lives there.

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

STH69 said:
I was stationed in Korea many moons ago, a little place called Pong Il Chong, by Moonson, I have a good friend that lives there.
[/quoteHi STH69. I know PongIlChong....and, of course, MoonSon. Now MoonSan is classified as a city....has a 4-lane interstate size highway running through it.
I was stationed in Cp. Casey 1974,77,79. Did some work out in the Western Corridor. Now living in the middle of S. Korea, about 1 1/2 hours southof Seoul.
I guess you've been seeing in the news: all the U.S. soldiers in Seoul and north of Seoul are moving down into Cp. Humphreys, or Osan AFB. So, there are B I G
works going on at Cp. Humphreys. When were you here? I now an retired, and my wife and I own and operate a small English school in PyeongTaek. And, spare time, I am out in the hills, hunting for old coins and pottery and whatever the Koreans lost. ::)
If you ever want to get back this way to see how things are, let me know......you've got a place to stay, and a hunting partner for as long as you are here.
Best to you and your family. God bless. Bill aka hikeinmts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions