ACE 250 acting crazy

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
The other day I took my ACE 250 from its storage area and went outside. When I turned it it just went crazy. It started beeping and chirping and the screen was jumping all over the place. It would not stop even when I held it in the air. The day before it was just fine. I changed the batteries and that didn't help. I haven't dropped it or gotten it wet. In fact I take very good care of it seeing as how much it cost and all. Has anyone had this happen to their ACE 250? What did you do to correct it or do I need to send it in to the factory?

Jeff if you need to move this I understand. I'm just frustrated right now the machine isn't but about six months old and this happens. I'm just looking for some possible answers that will keep me from being detectorless for who knows how long.

Thanks for your inputs everyone.

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Like stalker wrote--check that coil cover inside. Dirt and other things can cause trouble.

I've heard of this happening before with the 250 but can't remember what Forum it was on. I think someone on here had smoke coming from his Ace 250 and had to return it.

Strong radio stations and other electrical interference bothers some machines.

I think this crap can happen with any brand. Too bad your number came up.

Zeb

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
I don't have a coil cover and I checked it first to make sure nothing was stuck to it. I guess when you pump them out by the hundreds something is bound to wrong with a few. One thing is for sure I can diffenately tell the difference between the Bounty Hunter and the Ace.

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
I also have a newly aquired ace250 and have only had troubles 2 times. TURNING IT ON!!! Since the batteries are spring type I have to take ONE battery out and put it back in and it turns on fine.

I did learn something by reading this forum, the garrett update on the pinpointing feature with the ace. My god have I dug some holes, so I will give them a call.

Hope everything works out. Maybe you got the devil child outta the bunch!!

HH

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had Garretts do that when the searchcoil died. Well, that happened to my old GTA-500 back in 1992, as I recall, and it had to go back to the factory. They sent me a replacement which I used for 12 years, and when that machine died just a year or two ago, it just quit beeping on anything- it would come on but not beep. I guess that's a coil problem.

But the symptoms you are describing sound familiar, like the problem I had out of my first Garrett (which I assumed to be the coil, but which might not have been, since they replaced the whole unit). I hope your problem has a simpler solution.

Another time my old Garrett started acting wonky like that, a technogeeky pal of mine opened it up and noticed the boards inside the main control housing were loose. I don't recommend opening up your machine unless you know what you're doing, though, particularly as playing with it might invalidate your warranty. But my buddy fixed mine, which at the time was no longer under warranty.

My first guess would be searchcoil, and my second guess would be that the boards inside have come loose somehow. But I am far from electronically savvy, and I don't know for sure.

Good luck!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to check is the coil connection. Maker sure that the connection at the coil is nice and tight, and that the cord is wound tightly around the shaft, and as high up and away from the coil as possible. Sometimes a loose connection can cuse this sort of problem, as can a loosley wrapped cord that gets too close to the coil. Some people even take a strip of black velcro to hold the cord up and away from the coil.

I've had my ACE250 since last March and haven't had a moments trouble with it, and the pinpoint feature is great once you get used to it. Good luck and I hope they fix it fast for you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread