ACE 250 acting crazy

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
The other day I took my ACE 250 from its storage area and went outside. When I turned it it just went crazy. It started beeping and chirping and the screen was jumping all over the place. It would not stop even when I held it in the air. The day before it was just fine. I changed the batteries and that didn't help. I haven't dropped it or gotten it wet. In fact I take very good care of it seeing as how much it cost and all. Has anyone had this happen to their ACE 250? What did you do to correct it or do I need to send it in to the factory?

Jeff if you need to move this I understand. I'm just frustrated right now the machine isn't but about six months old and this happens. I'm just looking for some possible answers that will keep me from being detectorless for who knows how long.

Thanks for your inputs everyone.

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi, was the sensitivity turned all the way up???? Thats the only time mine is erratic. I hope its nothing serious but if you have to send to Garrett their service is top notch. Please let us know is you find the cure!!!!
HH
greg

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Another possibility is that the ACE 250 was close to powerlines or ground wires. Sometimes it happens to me and just keep beeping and freaking out, etc. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
where I was at is where I always go for an hour hunt. Just down the street from my house. I never had a problem there before. There are no power lines around and the sensitivity was at the normal four bars. Even turned all the way down it was going off. As far as ground wires or cables. None that I know of or at least it never went crazy before. I tried it again when I got home today except I went out front, same results. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
(1) Most common reason I have found for this occurance with the ACE250 is Battery power getting low.

(2) If you can't find the cause, you should check into sending the electronics box to Garrett for repair ( Free )

(3) The least likely cause could be Alien Interferance. Just to be sure you are protected, go here ...

http://stopabductions.com/

;D

Let us know when & if you figure out the cause & cure.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the thousands sold, once in a while one has to break. I guess you're it? Garrett service is top notch luckily. Phone them and get an authorization number and it should be back to you fairly quickly. That's why I have a backup, couldn't live but a few days without a prospecting fix. Monty

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
I called them and they are preplexed as well and told me to send it I guess I will have to. If it is aliens the little @$#%$^ better stop messing with my detector!

Monty, I do have a back up. Its my first detector, a Bounty Hunter my wife bought me. I guess it will have to do for now.

Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife detector and backup is also a Bounty Hunter! I've seen some posts making fun of BH, but I have found a lot of "things" with mine. BH may be the one most commonly used detector to get people started in the hobby. I have no qualms at all about pulling mine out ever so often and giving it a workout. I also have an ACE 250 which cost less than my BH, but I am just more comfortable with it on a day to day basis. So unlimber that "muffler on a stick" and keep going. You might be surprised. Monty

P

pidjammies1

:D I have an Ace 250 that I bought in August. I like it but sometimes it is hard to pintpoit with it. No problems other than that. I bought some new head phones for it at Radio Shack last night. They are small and comfortable to wear, they have a volume control and an on/off switch.

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Monty,

Don't get me wrong I do like the Bounty Hunter, I'll never get rid of it. It just doesn't discriminate near as well as the ACE 250 does. I will break it out I will just have to get use to digging more trash than before.

R

Ray(Md)

Pidjammies,Garrett had some ace 250 with a pinpoint problem.Something in the electronics circuitry. Anyway they are offering a free upgrade fix. Just call them and get the info to send it in..

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hearing about pinpointing problems with the ACE, but I never have had a problem. Am I just lucky, good or what? Monty

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Ok, I don't get it. I took it out again today, turned it on in the same place and low and behold it was quiet, not a peep. I tested it and it works fine. Wierd. Maybe the planets were aligned the wrong way or something. At any rate I'm happy its working again.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Ilovetodig said:
Maybe the planets were aligned the wrong way or something.

I'd bet that was it. I mean its been 60-70 degrees in November. What else could it be..................... ;) ::) :P

GL & HH,

DugHoles

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
*insert theme from Twilight Zone here*? ;D

Good thing you tried it one last time!? Hope it lasts!? If not, get out the tin foil and wrap your control box and coil!? I bet that'd help BUNCHES!? LOL

HH, ya'll!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
A few years back, I had a problem that sounds similar. On the 250, are the batteries drop in or plug in? I found that the connector had a short in it and every so often it would try to make connection when I swung the detector. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
I finally had to send the 250 in today. It started acting up again and this time it would not stop so off to Garret it went. I'll let you guys know what was wrong if they let me know. For now its up to the Bounty Hunter to get me through.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a coil cover, I'd take it off and check for contamination. Someone may be playing a joke....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread