Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: rfiel round or machine gun round?

7.62X39 isa common round for the SKS and Ak-47 along with other similar types of rifles including the Ruger Ranch Rifle (same as the Mini-14 which is chambered for the .223.) It can be co-classified as a sub-machine gun cartridge if weapon is able to fire in full auto mode. The AK has the potential to do so but is also made in semi-auto versions.

OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro

tieren said:
7.62X39 isa common round for the SKS and Ak-47 along with other similar types of rifles including the Ruger Ranch Rifle (same as the Mini-14 which is chambered for the .223.) It can be co-classified as a sub-machine gun cartridge if weapon is able to fire in full auto mode. The AK has the potential to do so but is also made in semi-auto versions.
Any ideas on this one and can you date this or is it recent? Kind of scary this was found in tot lot wouldn't you say?

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty much safe unless someone tried beating on the primer to see if it will go off. ;) It's a recent manufacture as Wolf was making them within the last year. Bullets and cartridges are found all the time in school yards and such. Kid are either curious or wanting to show off.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Intresting Find skane.

I enjoy Finding LIVE rounds.

jeff

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa

Cool find!!!? It looks identical to the rounds I have in clips for my SKS, right down to the red sealant between the projectile and the casing.? My SKS is unfired, but I was told the rounds given to me when I bought the gun were corrosive ones made in China, but mine are stamped with just a 31 and a 71.

OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used

SugarSand said:
Cool find!!!? It looks identical to the rounds I have in clips for my SKS, right down to the red sealant between the projectile and the casing.? My SKS is unfired, but I was told the rounds given to me when I bought the gun were corrosive ones made in China, but mine are stamped with just a 31 and a 71.

Excuse the ignorance but what is an SKS?

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin

skane said:
The head reads 7.26x39 Wolf.? I looked on the internet and these 'dimensions' show up for a simple rifle slug but also for AK-47?? any ammor experts out there.? Strangely I found this in the sand of a tot lot last weekend.
7.26 or 7.62? ?It's a NATO round for a ?Kulishnikov. ?Almost any Russian/Chinese/Turkish/Eastern European small rifle will fire that round (except for the 54 and 54R's). ?I'd say it would have been used for target practice/sighting. ?It looks like a FMJ. ?Doubt it would be for hunting, since you have to use soft tips. ?FMJ's for hunting is illegal.

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wolf is a brand name put on Russian military rounds for SKS and AK. the red stuff around the bullet and the primer is weatherproofing to keep moisture out of the bullet. they can be bought for about $3.00 a box around here, I've got several boxes for my SKS.....its fun to shoot and ammo is very cheap, good cuz you can really go through the ammo with a 37 round detachable magazine....hope this helps!!

HH

OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used

Arakronn said:
skane said:
The head reads 7.26x39 Wolf.? I looked on the internet and these 'dimensions' show up for a simple rifle slug but also for AK-47?? any ammor experts out there.? Strangely I found this in the sand of a tot lot last weekend.
7.26 or 7.62? ?It's a NATO round for a ?Kulishnikov. ?Almost any Russian/Chinese/Turkish/Eastern European small rifle will fire that round (except for the 54 and 54R's). ?I'd say it would have been used for target practice/sighting. ?It looks like a FMJ. ?Doubt it would be for hunting, since you have to use soft tips. ?FMJ's for hunting is illegal.
7.62. Thanks. I made the correction above. Sorry, what is FMJ? Full metal jacket? So from all these post am I believe that this is for a submachine gun?

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

skane, no this ammo is for military style assault type rifles. A submachine gun is characterized by using pistol ammunition.

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

FMJ is full metal jacket. SKS is a semi-auto rifle and AK is select fire rifle, but most AK's sold in the US are only semi-auto

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The SKS is a Russian made and oft copied semi-automatic military weapon. The AK47 is an originally Russian, also manufactured by other countries and in its military form was a full automatic weapon or a sub-machine gun as you call lit. The civilian model is a semi-automatic weapon. The cartridge you found can be fired in all of them, doesn't matter what the action is. As stated there are also a few U.S. made sporting arms made in this caliber. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread