I found a head

fender346

Feb 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a few wheaties and 51 Jefferson (which i needed for my collection so I was happy)
Soon after, a scary looking head appeared deep within the dirt...
I washed it off a little bit,
its Susan B. Anthony.

Can anyone help with with the writing on the back?

Susan B. Anthony
??????? all women to rebel
1820 - 1906

sba001xxx.jpg

sba018xxx.jpg

sba015xxx.jpg

Upvote 0

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Superb find. I'm green with head envy.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a death mask to me that was issued to members of a womans rights group. Looks real cool. Must have some nice story behind it. :thumbsup:

Likely Guy

From what I found "Educate all women to rebel" was a misquote from her, during her 1872 trial for illegal voting. After found guilty and fined $100 she said,

"May it please your honor, I shall never pay a dollar of your unjust penalty. All the stock in trade I possess is a $10,000 debt, incurred by publishing my paper- The Revolution -four years ago, the sole object of which was to educate all women to do precisely as I have done, rebel against your manmade, unjust, unconstitutional forms of law, that tax, fine, imprison and hang women, while they deny them the right of representation in the government; and I shall work on with might and main to pay every dollar of that honest debt, but not a penny shall go to this unjust claim. And I shall earnestly and persistently continue to urge all women to the practical recognition of the old revolutionary maxim, that "Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God."

She never did pay the fine.

I googled: "susan b anthony" "educate all women to rebel" and the only listing is from some video site 'Mefeedia' where it said 'PAGE 49 EAD EDUCATE ALL WOMEN TO REBEL THE SUSAN B ANTHONY PENDENT OR KEY CHAIN."GENUINE PEWTER TOUCH STONE INSCRIBED ON BACK." ENOUGH ALREADY THEY WERE ...'

I hit the link but can find no connection. :icon_scratch:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
While all sorts of replies spring to mind, I'll just say that the Susan B. Anthony head is one of the coolest finds I've seen in a long time.

Congrats!!!

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Coincidence, I found a head today too while I was out walking... :icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• DSCF1004.jpg
    DSCF1004.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 185

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread