Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing much today, but I had to get out as the weather was 60's, sunny, and there was a great breeze.
I hit my 1830's CW property and the whole lawn and field was trimmed nice & low. I thought I had picked the place clean, but there were a few things I missed, even BIG pieces. :icon_scratch:
I have a few "whats its" if you care to take a guess.
Any idea what the rusty iron key like piece may be, or the metal (heavy like brass) piece with rim? :icon_scratch:

In the hole with one of the pieces of metal I noticed a white ball. At first I thought it was another one of those grubs rolled into a ball. It turned out to be a large marble that I think may be clay. :icon_scratch: Hopefully I can get an ID on it. I would love to know how old it is.

My only coin was a 41' Wheat. :occasion18: :occasion14:

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 727
  • MVC-088S.JPG
    MVC-088S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 714
  • MVC-089S.JPG
    MVC-089S.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 833
  • MVC-090S.JPG
    MVC-090S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 726
  • MVC-091S.JPG
    MVC-091S.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 744
  • MVC-092S.JPG
    MVC-092S.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 724
  • MVC-093S.JPG
    MVC-093S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 740
Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Hey Dug,

Oh yeah, that clay marble is nice. I still have not found one, even though I'm always scanning my head in search of those non-metallic relics. That 1830s property still has some Colonial coins on it. Isn't that where you got your cut Spanish silver?

Kyle

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Hey Dug,

Oh yeah, that clay marble is nice. I still have not found one, even though I'm always scanning my head in search of those non-metallic relics. That 1830s property still has some Colonial coins on it. Isn't that where you got your cut Spanish silver?

Kyle

Kyle,
Great memory. Yep, this is the place I dug the Spanish silver piece, the eagle sword belt plate, and my only LC (no date).
There was a one day CW battle on this location at the end of the CW. Looks like it's still giving up a few relics though. That darn wheat was DEEP! I was hoping for an older coin in the bottom of the hole, but it showed me that the Mighty Tesoro still could hold it's own. :thumbsup:
Maybe the marble is really a CW kidney stone? :tongue3: ;D :wink:
Take care buddy,
Doug

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the marbles, and other relics. Congrats......

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Is that "potential" plate possibly the lead part of the back? Looks like lead to me.
Newt

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That appears to be from some sort of locking mechanism... ??? Cool marbles, some people say I lost mine. Maybe you just found them... ;D Congrats and HH

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
Is that "potential" plate possibly the lead part of the back? Looks like lead to me.
Newt

Newt,
The piece is cast brass. The back was just dirty in the picture.
Thanks,
MM

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few of the white clay marbles in farm fields, I have never found any info on them though. Hope someone knows something about them, would benefit us both! Nice finds

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The round things are marbles??? I bet your wife thought that you bent over and your brain fell out-Smaller marble of course. Nice finds and HH!!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old clay marble and other one is nice too. Post it on marble section forum and someone will help you. Nice digs on other relics. No help.........sorry

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey Doug.

Your clay marble reminded me of my only clay marble find at an old park. I found mine in a plug that had a wheatie in it. I've been told that the clay marbles were created in the 1880's-'90s. Mine is smaller than yours, and has an orange color.

Nice find! You're due for another fantastic find!! :thumbsup:

Keep The Passion High!

CAPTN SE
Dan

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They've made clay marbles since ancient times, i've found hundreds of them mostly in old dumps. Good hunting, kane 23

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a black colored clay marble once while I was detecting. I took it back to work with me and was showing one of my workers...who while holding it up looking at it, lets go of it and lets it hit the concrete floor, which of coarse busts it in half. I asked him what he did that for and he said that he was just checking to see what it was made out of. I was so p1ssed I could've punched him in the face. I wonder how that guy checks the safety on a loaded gun. :tard:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
72cheyenne said:
I found a black colored clay marble once while I was detecting. I took it back to work with me and was showing one of my workers...who while holding it up looking at it, lets go of it and lets it hit the concrete floor, which of coarse busts it in half. I asked him what he did that for and he said that he was just checking to see what it was made out of. I was so p1ssed I could've punched him in the face. I wonder how that guy checks the safety on a loaded gun. :tard:

That Bozo definitely lost his marbles! :tard:
Not the sharpest tool in your store I take it. ;D
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
The round things are marbles??? I bet your wife thought that you bent over and your brain fell out-Smaller marble of course. Nice finds and HH!!!

You guys are killing me! :icon_jokercolor: ;D
My wife buys me a bag of marbles for my birthday every year to replace the ones I've lost. :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy,
MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyboby for the replies. Not too exciting of a post, but the marble made my day. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread