Some relics from a 1700s site

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Some relics from a 1700's site

Did a bit of hunting on Sunday around a 1756 house/tavern site. The grass was long so not the best conditions for hunting. We managed a few relics. A Draped Bust copper, key holder, merc, barber and a few other odds and ends. The spoons appear to be of coin silver. I need to identify the hallmark to get more info on them. The owner is a great guy. He wants to make a small display of items from his farm to show to people. His house is very prominent in town. He really appreciated the history and seemed to like the Draped Bust. I am giving it to him next time I see him. This will be the first piece for his display. I know he will be very happy to have it 8)

Attachments

• DSC05668.JPG
    DSC05668.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC05669.JPG
    DSC05669.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC05689.JPG
    DSC05689.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC05690.JPG
    DSC05690.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 572
  • DSC05691.JPG
    DSC05691.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC05692.JPG
    DSC05692.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 574
  • DSC05694.JPG
    DSC05694.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC05695.JPG
    DSC05695.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 577
Upvote 0

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Some relics from a 1700's site

Awsome finds very nice barber dime, congrats :thumbsup:

Cw

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds and hunt. Like the Studebaker thingy. Barber is a nice coin too :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no date on the large cent?

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Very nice diggs :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Nice Studebaker Token from my hometown. Congrats...I would love to dig a homestead dated that far back.... :thumbsup: jgas

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030

Nice finds!!! The Sunoco car series token is from around 1968-69. I recently found one with a Mercer on it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

That Draped Bust looks to be in great shape. Great job, Ed!

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Sniffy said:

No date on the Draped Bust.... the owner is restoring the huge house and barn to the original state as it was in 1756 and wants to display local history for others to see since his house was the home to a General in the Rev war. He is going to raise some head of cattle and some chickens also. We have permission to hunt the field areas as they get hayed. Those areas may produce some more nice finds. He kept hinting about the Draped Bust being fitting right in with the houses history. I can't wait to donate it to him for the display. I am also going to offer up the musket ball, button and Merc for the display. Thanks to all for your replies and good luck 8)

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ed-NH said:
Sniffy said:

No date on the Draped Bust.... the owner is restoring the huge house and barn to the original state as it was in 1756 and wants to display local history for others to see since his house was the home to a General in the Rev war. He is going to raise some head of cattle and some chickens also. We have permission to hunt the field areas as they get hayed. Those areas may produce some more nice finds. He kept hinting about the Draped Bust being fitting right in with the houses history. I can't wait to donate it to him for the display. I am also going to offer up the musket ball, button and Merc for the display. Thanks to all for your replies and good luck 8)

I bet that guy will really appreciate that draped bust. Very nice of you to donate the items back for the public to see. Good job.

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Sniffy said:
Ed-NH said:
Sniffy said:

I bet that guy will really appreciate that draped bust. Very nice of you to donate the items back for the public to see. Good job.

Thank you Sniffy, it is a good feeling to give back sometimes. I am planning on making a small display to donate to the town historical society this year. I have finally found enough pieces that I can donate some and still have enough in my own collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions