Found a Fat Indian, a V and need help IDing 2 Eagle Buttons

coinshooterpa

Aug 19, 2007
South Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro/White's MXT 300/White's XLT/ Minelab Excal II/Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a Fat Indian, a V and need help ID'ing 2 Eagle Buttons

I got up to the cabin this past weekend a got to hit a couple spots. I got a 1863 indian, a toasted V nickel, a couple flat buttons, and 2 eagle buttons that I would like more info on. The first in a Robinson, Jones & co. gold infantry button which dates from 1828-36, the second is a Steele & Johnson eagle button which dates from 1858-75. Any other info on these buttons would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Found a Fat Indian, a V and need help ID'ing 2 Eagle Buttons

It looks to me like an "R" on that button, which would make it a Mounted Rifleman button. It is hard to tell by your photos.

I found a Steele & Johnson Infantry button back in March. I am told they are scarce back back marks. Nice digs!

OP
OP
coinshooterpa

coinshooterpa

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro/White's MXT 300/White's XLT/ Minelab Excal II/Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry, the pics aren't the best...It is definately an "I" on the shield....Thanks for the reply

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

I don't know what else you want to know.I think you have got all the details.The only thing that I
can tell you is that the second Eagle Button is a General Staff Union Button,I would also say it is CW
Era.I would also say that most likely my guess the first Eagle Union Infantry Button would be of CW Era
also.Check this site out for some prices.Congrats on some very nice finds :thumbsup:

http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/cwcol.htm

I would say the pics are fine it is just a little gold gilt on each side of the "I" that make it look like a "R"

fortbball9

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

OK here is some more detailed info on your buttons.

Beginning with the second. It looks like your back mark is "& STEELE. & JOHNSON.", with a depressed back mark. If it is a high convex button (it is hard to tell from the pics) , then according to Warren K. Tice's Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865 yours is a General Staff button made during the 1850's & 1860's. The catalog number is GS230 (Albert's GS16) A 2.

The second is a one piece Infantry (sorry about my first post; try to use macro mode in natural light for crisp clear photos) "ROBINSON, JONES & Co/ *A*" is a raised mark button 1821-1840's. All of these buttons were silver plated. On your button the plating has possibly discolored & worn off. The catalog number is GI200 (Albert's GI79) A 3. This button is interesting because, according to Tice, both northern and southern militia serving during the early months of the Civil War must have used them since they are occasionally unearthed at Civil War campsites.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Nice digs :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice button finds with some of the guilding still on it. I'd say CW on both, but I am no expert on buttons.

OP
OP
coinshooterpa

coinshooterpa

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil, thanks for the additional research and information you got for me...I'll have to pick up the Tice button book...It's amazing that a button made into the early 1840's would have been used 20 years later in the Civil War...Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread