Vacation Finds

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Went to CapeCod for the weekend :)? Had to do alot of yardwork and stuff but i got out twice to hit the paths and crandberry bogs.

Found 4 .38 special cases and 4 .22 cases, 3 of which are live.? and a small melted metal blob.
got 5 cents in modern pennies, most from the 1960's, the swampy area seems to eat away copper so any wheaties are probably thin disks by now :-\
luckily while walking on a path near a bog i happened to see a large square depression in the ground, i thought it may have been an old crandberry bog thats now dried up, i detected in it and found a 1955 east carribean cent that at one time was a neclace or soemthing cause it has silver mounts on the sides :)? wonder if someone lost it while trying to pick crandberries in the 50's...

Also went to the bass river coin store and got two IH fatties for 4 bucks, dates are 1859 and 1860, thought it was a good buy even though i already have like 3 of those dates :P? but i know theyl go up in value ::)? the first pic is what the coin would have looked like if it wasnt in the ground, except mine is 1955.? That big sand pile was awesome!? such a view on it :o? It was also fun to bike down :D

Attachments

• 37-b2.jpg
    37-b2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
The finds:

Attachments

• 1955eastcarribeancent.JPG
    1955eastcarribeancent.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 397
  • capepathfinds.JPG
    capepathfinds.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 405
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Some cool pics and the coins i bought:

Attachments

• crandberrybogs.JPG
    crandberrybogs.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 387
  • sand.JPG
    sand.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 382
  • fatties.JPG
    fatties.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 386

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Very cool Jake! That does look like some corrosive ground, and I had no idea cranberries came from bogs. I knew they came from "out East", but I always imagined an orchard of cranberry trees, LOL. What do you do with the live rounds you find?

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yep, they are grown in bosg and when its harvest time they are flooded and they use machines to drive around in the water and rake up the crandberries. Pretty cool to watch :) they even let you pick a couple of bags of them from the edges, we got 3 big ziplock bags full of fresh capecod crandberries, mmmmm :o

As for the still live bulelts i jsut put in my closet with all the others, they are pretty harmless due to the fact that even if they did explode it would not send a bullet flying at you cause theres no barrel for the force to be concentrated :)

C

Cladius Maximus

Nice finds...I see you use a BH tracker 4 (the same as me). Do you have any tips on settings?
Thanks from a newbie
Cladius

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, Jake any unexploded ordinance (ie. shell, bullet) is dangerous. The bigger it is the more dangerous. I would dispose of them unless I could put them where they would not be touched. Basically treat anything that was meant to explode like it still will unless it has been defused and made safe to handle. I don't know about you but I have always hated a hang fire (bullet that would not fire). I have seen a few and two went off when the shooter tried to extract them. No one was hurt. Jake Be Carefull and you'll be an old man some day with all 10 fingers.

Ed

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
i know, you can still get bruises and burns from a .22 but its not gonna explode if its just sitting there :P

as for settings i just set it to tone mode and turn the disc all the way down :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I love finding those foreign coins. Also am a big fan of Indian Heads. I agree with you - even if not in the best of shape IH's will only rise in value.

Bob

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ohhhhhh, is that what my indianheads are supposed to look like????

Thanks for the great pictures, Jake. Congrats on the foreign coin.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun time,,,, nice pics, and cool finds!

hh

lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread