Ghost Town Adventure Part 1

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Well, I had some time this morning so I went to an old oil boom town from the 30's to see what I could find. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked but since it's only about 15 mi from the front porch it doesn't really matter.
1st I stopped at one of the few abandoned houses on this 8,000 acres and checked things out. There was scrap metal galore in the grass and even the tin was setting things off as they were large enough to overload even at a disc of 10. I was able to get an Old Age Assistance token which seem to show up all over this state. There was also a compact lid just under the surface in the garage area. I got a big signal just outside the garage and lo and behold in amongst the grass was a whole bicycle frame. LOL Well, for now I've decided to leave it there since I can't get it to fit in the pouch. In the kitchen area is a number of glass jars scattered on the floor but I can't get to them as the floor is just barely there, not safe enough to navigate esp. since I was alone. I also checked out the feed bldg and checked the walls but nothing. In the shop area was a lot of pipe, sharp objects and such. Kind of reminded me of the movie "Twister". I tried to get a pic inside but didn't find out till later that the camera was on Macro. :-[

Attachments

• 3 sands abandoned.JPG
    3 sands abandoned.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 452
  • abandoned 2.JPG
    abandoned 2.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 447
  • abandoned 3.JPG
    abandoned 3.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 453
  • abandoned 4.JPG
    abandoned 4.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW realy Cool Place stoney.

Looks like ALOT of possibilities

I wish I had Ghost Towns Around Here Where the Homes are Standing Yet.

HH
jeff

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Actually there are 2 lightning rods on the house. A # of them in my area have various items on them like horses, porcelin balls, etc. These just have a curley-q tip on the end.
Good eye SWR.
BTW, Jeff if you ever get too bored up north, come on down this way. I've got another place that has "Merry Widows" scattered everywhere. ;D Must have been pretty popular-probably "standing room only." LOL

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jake, here's a pic of it. Didn't realize that camera was still on macro.

Attachments

• bike frame.JPG
    bike frame.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 403

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel Stoney :-\ .....I have been to three spots that are so littered with tin and junk......but....

Great pictures!!

Nana

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Too fun, It would be cool to see what can be found in the window sills and maybe even under the stove!
I keep checking mine but all I get is dust bunnies and cat toys with spit on em'....
But they sure are fun :P

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Defub utely not done w/this place yet. Got some signals under a concrete sidewalk around back. Didn't have all the tools necessary for recovery. I plan on going back and running in iron null mode and see what happens. Hopefully will find someone to go with me as a safety precaution.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this on the ranch you was telling me about? Looks kinda' hard to dig with all that high grass There's a guy in Tulsa that specializes in restoring those old ranges and he makes a fortune on them. People swear those old gas ranges cook better than the new ones, but? Monty

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Monty said:
Is this on the ranch you was telling me about?? Looks kinda' hard to dig with all that high grass? There's a guy in Tulsa that specializes in restoring those old ranges and he makes a fortune on them.? People swear those old gas ranges cook better than the new ones, but?? Monty

Yes Jim. This is one of the areas that I was telling U about which is about 15 mi. west of me. Actually the ground is easy diggin' as it's a very soft loam around the house. What's nice to the NE is U can use a shovel, still have to refill the holes.
BTW, ya jinxed me.-------You had to mention on that other post about what I would do if I lost my diggin' knife. Well guess what, it's gone. :'( Somewhere out in there is my lucky digger sniff, sniff. Guess ya better come over and find it for me. ;) Besides a detector that has a meter might be an asset.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post and great site Stoney! HH, Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those lightening rods can be worth BIG $$ ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions