A lustrous Stander, a fine Barber and a Merc with skin cancer

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Hunted my favorite wooded area again today. Found some nice coins along the ridge of a hill. A really nice 1918 Standing Liberty Quarter was found at only two inches deep. This coin could be graded AU. Still has luster, especially on the reverse. A nice Barber Quarter was found about 4 inches deep. It's got a full liberty on the headband and could be graded fine. A Mecrury dime was found 3 inches deep in coal ash dirt. I wouldn't know what to grade it as the surfaces of the coin are kind of crusty.

Here's the blazing Stander:

fordspecial 006.JPG

fordspecial 005.JPG

The Barber Quarter:

fordspecial 001.JPG fordspecial 002.JPG

The Merc: fordspecial 003.JPG fordspecial 004.JPG

Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SLQ is about as sweet as any i have ever seen. The Barber is no skank. The dime is a little ugly.
On a good day i would probably drive 100 miles for a hunt like that. Fantastic day.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to ask again...how many years did they make Variety 1 Standing Libertys? I thought they were only struck up to 1917 :icon_scratch:

Nat

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
just what everybody else said, SWEET STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER!!!!.......really something special there, best Standing Lib I've EVER seen on this, or any other forum......AU all day long (and most of tomorrow) :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Nat, they minted the Variety I (bare breasted, no stars below eagle on the reverse) for all of 1916 and approximately half of 1917 at which time they covered the chest and added three stars below the eagle therefore creating Variety II until they stopped minting them in 1930. Hope that helps.

Again, huge congrats on a beautiful quarter!!!!!

HH all!

Greg

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to send that quarter in to be graded, amazing condition. Work of art ya got there.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1235CE said:
Nat, they minted the Variety I (bare breasted, no stars below eagle on the reverse) for all of 1916 and approximately half of 1917 at which time they covered the chest and added three stars below the eagle therefore creating Variety II until they stopped minting them in 1930. Hope that helps.

Greg, I'm still not clear on this :icon_scratch: Bob has a Variety 1 SLQ of 1918..at least on the Liberty side..the stars below the eagle suggests Variety II. My red book doesn't have a listing for it - they don't show any "bare breasted" SLQ's made after 1917.

Nat

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Natman, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you to answer your question. I hadn't looked at the post in a few days, thinking that everyone was done with it.

Here's a clearer shot of the Type 2 1918 Stander:

17-18 standers 002.JPG

Compare that to a close-up of possibly my best Type 1 1917 (bare-breasted) Stander found a few years ago:

17-18 standers 001.JPG

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Greg, and thanks Bob for taking the time to post the comparative shots!

:thumbsup:
Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread