My BEST flat button

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils

Attachments

• Best flat button 110805.jpg
    Best flat button 110805.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Just changed the picture of the front, still doesn't quite do it justice. I have taken about 20 pictures trying to get a good one, this is the best I can get out of my camera. The detail on this thing is unreal. In the very center there are stars, starting small and getting bigger. Even the "dots" are all the same size and evenly spaced, how would they have made such a nice button.

BTW -- This was a classic example of DIG EVERYTHING if you're in a good area; I had just dug several shotgun shells, got another "shotgun shell signal", read 1 inch deep, flipped it over and there was this button!!!!!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Looks like one of the elaborately hand engraved and chased copper buttons made during the late 1700's. Some were also gilt & or painted. To see a few other examples, although not all as ornate as yours, scroll down to "db 10. COPPER BUTTONS OF THE 18TH CENTURY" at:

http://www.bluebirdbuttons.com/deluxebuttons.htm

There are also some nice ones in "Copper Buttons, 1770-1800," pp. 180-81, The Big Book of Buttons by Hughes & Lester.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Awesome find :o Great detail too! Its prolly 1700's to early 1800's, how old was the site your detecting?

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
PBK - Thanks for the info, I was thinking late 1700's, I just cant believe how detailed it is, I sure wish the picture was better.

Hey Jake, nice to hear from you again.? I was detecting a wooded area near a road, one of the locals said there was a camp nearby during the civil war, I couldnt believe it when this thing rolled over.?

I just measured it, it's 1 3/8" across, I have about 100 flat buttons, I only have one other that is even close to being this big!!!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
from what i understand back then it was a sign of wealth/importance to wear fancy big buttons like this. Is there a backmark on it maybe? what about a mold seam on the back?

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
I know you can hardly tell from the picture but all of the lighter areas are GOLD. There is a little bit of gold left on the back but absolutely no other markings or seams.

Shiningstar - here's the picture someone sent the link to,yours kinda looks like the one in the top right corner. I'm pretty sure they are the same era. I knew as soon as I picked mine up that it was colonial, just by the size!!!!

Attachments

• Colonial Buttons.jpg
    Colonial Buttons.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 161

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread