Great start

shiningstar76

Feb 4, 2005
savannah, ga
I went out to the grocery store last night around 1230, and grabbed my metal detector. The neighborhood where I live has a bunch of 1900ish parks. I immediately found a 1923 wheat. While digging it it became clear that it was in between two cement slabs in the ground. Upon investigating it I found that there was a walkway there sometime in the past. The cement slabs were shaped like slate slabs would be in a walkway. You could see an indent where they were in the path and I also found some brick borders sticking out of the ground. I started to follow the old path through the park and got a solid hit. I started to dig but found that it was under one of the slabs. This is really cool, I thought to myself. I had to start a dig, then ran back to the van to get a pry bar and sure enough, out came a 1916 wheat from underneath the slab. I am not sure if someone put it under there when they were laid down or if they just did not sink since they were covered. Or maybe it was a path before the slabs were laid. I later recovered a 1917 in the same fashion. I am sure that there will be some silver and I can't wait to get back. I would post some pics but they really need to be cleaned and my electrolysis adapter is cooked. I always hear great beneath sidewalk stories so now I have my own little sections to pull up. And its probably an 800 foot path ;D

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Be sure to use great care in doing this project. Someone may take offense at prying up those old slate paving stones. Neat finds though. Get us some pix.
Spotz

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
spotz said:
Be sure to use great care in doing this project. Someone may take offense at prying up those old slate paving stones.
Spotz

That's what I was thinking. Have to do some covert ops. ;)

Bob

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Same thinking here. The people who tend Hitchcock Woods( the two thousand acre woods I hunted in recently), don't even want a tablespoon of dirt moved.(I hunted it undetected, inside info from groundskeeper). I'd be very careful.

HH,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread