1904 Schoolhouse saga continues....Semper Fidelis!

W

whites6000inPa

This is a pretty danged nice silver ring that the old school just coughed up. Found it near the sidewalk....and it was one of those "half dollar" signals....that I am getting a little better at believing nowadays. My 6000 said "half dollar" at 4 inches. There was no half dollar....but this was at 6 inches.

Frequently...a half dollar signal is not a half....more times than not it's junk, and I was becoming very skeptical of any signals that high on the VDI. This time it was neither a coin nor junk. This is a huge chunk of silver. I'll polish it up after I get the mud out of it and post a second picture. It's a brutishly heavy thing.

Just think......I get to do this whole place over and will be digging the low VDI readings. I'm beginning to think that it's possible for this place to give up some gold. It's sure not been stingy with the silver. More adventures to follow?....probably so.

Wyatt

Attachments

• RING3.JPG
    RING3.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

This is the best place I've hunted since the 70s when I started detecting. I think this is a "tribute" ring...it's not the official USMC insignia. It weighs nearly as much as a silver dollar. But it only fits my pinky.

Marines weren't that little then were they? I wonder how old this booger is?

Wyatt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL RING Wyatt

You Got A good Spot There.

Keep 'em Comming .

jeff

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring!

hh

lonewolfe

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find wyatt!!WTG!!

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks......I think it's a pretty cool find too. Here's the pictures of it after cleaning. I don't want to go too far with it...and lose details in the shield and such.
Wyatt

Attachments

• RING3-2.JPG
    RING3-2.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 271
OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

It's nearly as heavy as a silver dollar. I guess it's a "signet" ring....but was never professionally engraved. Looks like a kid scratched something on the face of it....but I can't make it out.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

The ring has a maker's mark inside. It's stamped MH....for Moore and Hofman...Newark NJ 1915-1922. Cool...now I know about how old it is.

Wyatt

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Wyatt, I tried darkening the puter screen and it almost looked like either "I and 8" or "1 and B" both of which make sense to me as 8th and I is the address for the Marine Barracks in D.C. or 1 and B for the 1st Battalion. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.? ??? Because if either were the case, I'd expect a better engraving.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wyatt!!!! :o

You did good!!!

;)