Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. Boy it still feels so good to be underway with summer, even though work is exhausting (painting and window/house repair). But today we had a rain day and it actually turned out to be awesome weather, so I headed out to some metroparks to run 6 miles and then had lunch and did some detecting.

Now I'm going to backtrack a bit. We had a half-rain day a few days ago and I went to these same metroparks and wandered in some areas I've only hit once before and found a few wheats. Well I was going slow and was digging what I could and digging what didn't sound like a pull tab when I got a nickel signal. Now sometimes I dig definite pull tabs, but this area is a little different. Lots of them in certain areas. Like seriously two or three in a hole sometimes, although this certain area didn't have too many. So anyway I flip over a few inches of dirt and instantly knew I had a big score!

yoB-1.jpg

It says "PORTRAIT" on it, in addition to 14K. Anyone recognize what it means?
huntF.jpg

Well I got lucky! This ring is a nice one...weighing at 5.5 grams, 14K. So of course I dug a ton of similar signals and more pull tab signals after that to see if I was on to a trend, but just got the usual aluminum. I did pick up a few wheats and a merc along some trails.

So now back to today. Mirage was curious about this area himself. So we meandered a bit in that same spot for a little while and got bored; we ended up walking over to a different area where the pull tabs are dense as I described above. Now we've hit this area a decent amount over the years but the finds are always tough to make here with all the pull tabs. I've only found one silver in this area until today. You gotta go SLOW and the more stuff you dig out the better your chances get at scoring. Well Mirage started picking up a few wheats. I walked right into a wheat and then shortly dug a silver quarter. There were plenty of targets around it...you could pretty much scan the coil right over the hole after I pulled the quarter out and hear multiple signals from surrounding trash. But it sounded good at the particular angle that I came across it. So I poked around a bit and kept moving, and Mirage made his way over towards that hole and shortly announced a “big score.” I guess I'll wait and see if he decides to post, but it was like 5 feet from where I dug the washington. I doubt that the two were related as far as how they were lost. So it was pretty a pretty sweet hunt for both of us. :icon_sunny: And the gold ring from a few days ago is probably one of my most valuable finds. Well I'm looking forward to more summer coming. Hope yall have a good one! 8)

Only part of today's trash:
huntB-2.jpg

The silver quarter:
yoH.jpg

huntA-3.jpg

huntC-2.jpg

huntD-1.jpg

I laughed when I dug this. Someone disobeyed. ::)
huntE-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sweet gold!! I love it! Sounds like you and Mirage have been pounding that place pretty good. Hope you find more goodies!

HH,
Moon

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Nate, looks like your Dad and you had a Great hunt, lots and lots of great finds,

Congrats, Ringfinder

Coin Hound

Greenie
May 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice job Nate!!!!

I was told by someone you are THE SILVER MAGNET!!!

I'm working on a hunt down here. I'll let you know the details--it would be on a Saturday.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude!!!! :headbang:
Congrats on a super gold ring find. You'll have college paid for in no time. ;D
Way to go Nate,
MM

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds :thumbsup: Where in ohio are you from? I search a metro park in youngstown,mill creek park.

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate, Congrats on the silver and gold!!! :headbang: ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!!

HH Joe

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Hound said:
Nice job Nate!!!!

I was told by someone you are THE SILVER MAGNET!!!

I'm working on a hunt down here. I'll let you know the details--it would be on a Saturday.

lol I try. That'd be cool, not sure where "down here" is but thanks for the invite!

treasuredog said:
Very nice finds :thumbsup: Where in ohio are you from? I search a metro park in youngstown,mill creek park.
Thanks. This part was in Berea I guess. It takes some time to figure out where it's worth hunting around there sometimes...there's a lot of area and some of it's been filled and there were demo's, etc.

Finman said:
Nate, Congrats on the silver and gold!!! :headbang: ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!!

HH Joe

Thanks Joe! I'll be rockin at the church on the drums tonight actually.

Thanks all of you 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread