Button Help

M

Mike(PA)

Hey everyone, this is the first and only button I have ever found, I found it in my yard about 3 months ago and just cleaned it off with water. It is a 1830's era militiamans rifle button. My question is how do you clean your buttons. This button is worth 50$ so i dont want to damage it by a bad cleaning method. So what methonds do you guys use to clean ur button. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx HH.

Upvote 0

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Mike, thats a beauty, I would not clean it any more than with a little soap and water and a gentle tooth brush cleaning. After it is clean and dry, try a little paste wax on it and buff it with a dry tooth brush. That should make it look pretty good....Lance

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
belive it or not the best thing for cleaning buttons and other items is dow scrubbing bubbles
they do all the work so you dont have to

mav

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Looks to be in excellent shape already. If you intend to sell it, go for the money as is and let the buyer risk it's value in cleaning.

N

neu

nice finds, i would have to say go with lowbatts on this one, if you do intend to sell it, dont risk damaging it, and be sure to tell the buyer you havent really cleaned it yet.

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
Best to just clean it to where you can ID it and so that a buyer, or even someone just looking at it for fun, can get a good look at its features and condition. For god's sake don't polish or laquer or anything else! And a little soap and water is usually ok, though plain old warm water and a toothbrush seem to do well

~Adrian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread