May have a silver nugget

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
I just got my first detector a week ago. I have been searching some playgrounds in the evenings and
come up on many coins already, a lot of junk too. I decided to drive to an abandoned mine I know
of which I had suspected was an old gold mine. I am beginning to think it was a silver mine. I went
with my wife and she took the pics. We found a horny toad along the way. I also found what I suspect
to be a silver nugget. I found some melted aluminum as well. This nugget looks to have been melted
intensionally, there is a line in it that looks like a tool had picked it up while hot. When you drop it
lightly and it has the same sound my silver coins have when you flip them in the air, that nice riiiing.
I need to take it to someone to have it looked at as I am not a pro. Here are some pics of our day trip.
Yes I went in the mine. It resembles what folks call a spanish mine. Only about 5' high into solid granite
with no beams. I went in and scanned the floor but it appears as though someone had already been
through it, there was nothing to be found. I know its dangerous, but it was a very short tunnel, maybe
50 feet deep with a huge air vent. I was in for maybe 4-5 mins, got nervous and got out. The nugget was found on the road under an area of rock excavated from the side of the hill laying about 1 inch down. I'm swinging an older (15 years?) Tesoro silver sabre. I pulled an old coors beer can from about 12 inches down with this detector. Its a keeper :thumbsup:

Attachments

• hornytoad.JPG
    hornytoad.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,440
  • coming out of mine.JPG
    coming out of mine.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 728
  • Standing in front of mine.JPG
    Standing in front of mine.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 717
  • SweepingMD.JPG
    SweepingMD.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 708
  • silver nugget.JPG
    silver nugget.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,667
Upvote 6

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find, for sure......and with possibilities. Sorry, I can't help you with any info.....but will be
hoping for you, that you have found something very worthwhile. Search completely around it, where people would have
went to try to get in out of the hot sun, and suggestions as to how they carried the ore they found out. Got to be
some old stuff close to the mine.
H.H. hikeinmts

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the picture, I'm guessing it not silver. Found several nuggets/splash pieces, hack silver etc & its doesn't look right to me.

But its easy to get a $10 testing kit & try it yourself.

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi Jack.
I don't know about the silver? nugget but nice toad, good to see you using the
silver sabre, I use mine from time to time still a good detector.
happy hunting
Dave.

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Where can I buy a test kit? :icon_scratch: Suppose I can google it. Thanks for the tip

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack Hamilton said:
Where can I buy a test kit? :icon_scratch: Suppose I can google it. Thanks for the tip

You can buy a test kit from Tnet sponsor KellyCo (site listed at the top). You can also make your own metal test kit, which is what I'm planning on doing. Check out this tip from Big Cypress Hunter:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,248019.0.html

The on line shipping cost (own metal test kit) is more than the product so best to find a local chemical store :icon_thumright:

r dewolf

Apr 17, 2018
temecula ca
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved here I'm retired so alot of time ,contact me would like to go with you a

I just got my first detector a week ago. I have been searching some playgrounds in the evenings and
come up on many coins already, a lot of junk too. I decided to drive to an abandoned mine I know
of which I had suspected was an old gold mine. I am beginning to think it was a silver mine. I went
with my wife and she took the pics. We found a horny toad along the way. I also found what I suspect
to be a silver nugget. I found some melted aluminum as well. This nugget looks to have been melted
intensionally, there is a line in it that looks like a tool had picked it up while hot. When you drop it
lightly and it has the same sound my silver coins have when you flip them in the air, that nice riiiing.
I need to take it to someone to have it looked at as I am not a pro. Here are some pics of our day trip.
Yes I went in the mine. It resembles what folks call a spanish mine. Only about 5' high into solid granite
with no beams. I went in and scanned the floor but it appears as though someone had already been
through it, there was nothing to be found. I know its dangerous, but it was a very short tunnel, maybe
50 feet deep with a huge air vent. I was in for maybe 4-5 mins, got nervous and got out. The nugget was found on the road under an area of rock excavated from the side of the hill laying about 1 inch down. I'm swinging an older (15 years?) Tesoro silver sabre. I pulled an old coors beer can from about 12 inches down with this detector. Its a keeper :thumbsup:

:metaldetector:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds hope its real i have three i've found

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the toad! I do not think it's silver (unless you cleaned it). It is too white. Native silver normally comes out of the ground dark grey to black. However, that being said, it may be another great mineral. You can look at the arsenides and tellurides also.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, I love your site pictures, and esp. the horned toad (we don't have many around here (joke)).
I have to agree with Smokeythecat above, in that if it were a native silver piece it would not look so "silver", you can of course do a decent specific gravity test without any specialized equipment, and if it comes out about 10, then maybe you do have Silver.

craig82

Jan 22, 2018
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ya i agree that horned toad was the find of the day but assuming that is a silver nug, how much would it be worth?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the pictures and the story, and I hope your nugget turns out to be silver too.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread